No announcement yet.

Japanese Kasumi vs. Chinese "Look-a-likes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrinkly, off shaped, crazy, askew and gorgeous. These are Chinese from Sarah. Taking the pics is the first step to convincing myself to part with them. Really more pinky/purply than is showing.
    Attached Files
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

?All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography? Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adeline Leigh View Post
      It is a fantastic strand, I often wonder who it'll eventually end up with.
      It is, indeed. I enjoy the differences between each one. It seems too be graded along those lines too.

All different yet uniform? Gotta love artistic ex/impression! Whoever buys it will always wonder too.

Comment

• Keepers, Sheryl. Keepers.

And if I were one of the recent lottery winners, I'd know what I'd do with one of my drops in my sea/ ocean of money ... Why hasn't anyone bitten yet? Maybe after all this postulating one of our well-heeled PG friends will (drumroll) become the new owner!
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/BaliBotanika

Comment

• Ah - so the wrinkly surface is one of the main features of Kasumis or Chinese Kasumi look alikes....hmmm thanks...
          Amrita
          www.harmonypearls.com
          www.facebook.com/HarmonyPearls
          info@harmonypearls.com
          www.twitter.com/HarmonyPearls9

Comment

• Here are some more photos of both Japan Kasumi pearls and their Chinese counterparts.
            First is an extreme close up of one my favorite Japan Kasumi pearl necklaces .. this "feathering" of nacre with its special color play is just amazing to me (even after all of these years).
            Second is a shot of three necklaces of Japan Kasumi pearls on the deeper sides of their natural color range.
            Third is a photo of a long rope of what I call "blush" color Japan Kasumi pearls. I love these soft tones.. to most people these will appear white.. but to those who appreciate that these pearls were saved from the dreaded "bleach bath" that most Chinese pearls in these tones are subjected to.. the subtle colors are so complimentary to skin tones. I love making necklaces with these subtle mixes of color. (ha ha even if most husbands don't notice)
            The fourth photo is of some of the Chinese ripple surface pearls in their natural colors. We are currently cleaned out of the darker purple versions of these pearls, as they tend to go really quickly.
            I wrote this to a customer just this morning : "I have copied off a rather dense copy of several interesting articles that we have either written or compiled on Japan Kasumi pearls, their history and their stubborn, pearl loving farmers.
            As with most "commodities" that are now produced in China... the presence of Chinese "look-a-like" pearls.. has not helped the cause of the 3 farmers in Lake Kasumi ga Ura Japan.. but as Japanese culture is nothing if not a testament to perserverance, and patience.. these farmers keep working hard to care for these very special pearls.. and often to our surprise , people around the world are still very interested in them, and often willing to pay the steep difference in price after understanding the nature of these pearls and the history behind them."
            Power to the little pearl farmers out there, may your patience pay off, and may your precious pearls always find appreciative places!
            I hope this finds you all well!
            With warm regards from all of us..
            Attached Files
            Sarah Canizzaro
            Kojima Company
            www.kojimapearl.com

Comment

• Thanks for such a wonderful post with the amazing photos, Sarah! Very enlightening and educative. All strength to the 3 patient and harworking farmers of Lake Kasumi ga Ura.
              Amrita
              www.harmonypearls.com
              www.facebook.com/HarmonyPearls
              info@harmonypearls.com
              www.twitter.com/HarmonyPearls9

Comment

• It's always a treat when Sarah posts. Thank you for the marvellous pictures.

Sheyl, yours looks like the last picture that Sarah shared Can really see those pink colours amidst the pondslime now.

I'm partial towards the pastels (aka no go bleach bath pearls). They are wiateria-like pretty. Who cares what husbands say
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/BaliBotanika

Comment

• What a marvelous thread to read through! I have a question for the pearl experts. How thick is the nacre on these kasumi or "kasumi look-a-like" pearls? Can they be passed from generation-to-generation, or last a life-time, or last years (let's say wearing them once a week against skin and wiping them gently with a damp cloth after each wear to remove sweat/oil)? Thanks!

Comment

• There's well over 1mm of nacre on the one's I've had in stock - straight Edisons, South Sea-ish and Kasumi-ish. So more than Tahitians and certainly more than Akoya
                    Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                    www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

• Thank you for that info. I normally worry about nacre thickness, but they are so beautiful I got swept away and didn't care. It's good to know they're more hardy than akoyas.

Comment

• This thread has some great stuff in it, so I'm bumping it up. Post # 57 by Sarah of Kojima Pearl has the double-drill x-rays showing that the technique of stabbing the donor tissue into the bead is still in practice on Kasumi and Kasumi look-alikes. Lots of beautiful photos throughout.

Comment

• Thanks for giving this thread a big bump ! Love all the photos ! Always good to revisit a lovely past !
                          https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                          https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

• Some more eye candy! These are Chinese ripple/Chinese kasumi pearls. I bought them thinking they were gold and darker purple, but in person they wowed me with their rainbow tones. Two shots in different lighting - they appear darker in the first photo, on an overcast day. The second is a cell phone pic (which washes them out a little bit) in the shade on a sunny day - the top strand is the knotted one from the first photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	886115_621238124593540_1406849736_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	353587
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	1377969_619566731427346_251518911_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	353588

I picked out a pearl from the first strand (it wasn't pretty enough for me!), so I can smash it to measure the nacre thickness.
                            Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Comment

• Are ripple pearls taking over the world? Is this a bad thing?
                              Author:Pearls A Practical Guide published by Crowood Jan 2021
                              www.pearlsapractical.guide

Comment

• No clue! But I think they're quite addictive... I just love the color play you get with them.
                                Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Comment

Working...
                                X