Freshwater Grading Comparison

starvingstudent

Hello!

I have previously purchased (and am quite please with :p) PearlParadise.com's freshadama line (7-8mm white). However, I am now looking to buy my wife a new pearl necklace and am contemplating color (though pink-pink seems unattainable and peachy colors don't strike me right) or size increase.

Does anyone have the experience to comment on the relative quality of PP freshadama (currently own) relative to TPO gemstone and any other comparable grading scales? The reason for the question is the notable price difference in the 8-9mm 18" strand amongst the various lines, though descriptions seem relatively comparable. Though the 7-8mm strands are similarly priced amongst the lines, the 8-9mm strand (current object of interest) differ by hundreds of dollars.

Also, Costco.com currently lists a 9-10mm white freshwater pearl strand. I previously ordered/received/returned Costco pearls (akoya off-white), though the quality seemed very good (decided on all-nacre freshwaters...I won't really consider akoyas after learning more about pearls). I expect there to be strong variance in the Costco sample since their inventory is always subject to change.

Any guidance for 8-9mm freshwater pearl purchasing? Can I expect similar results to that found int he 7-8mm lines (with price jump, of course), or does the larger diameter give rise to degredation in surface cleanliness, etc, holding constant grading?

Lastly, can anyone comment on the relative quality (surface cleanliness and lustre mostly) between PearlParadise freshadama and AAA freshwaters? Orient is of second-order importance and the price break on the AAA is very appealling (obviously), though I cannot abide by degredation in surface quality. A clean 8-9mm pearl without orient is likely my desireable quality group...but that grade does not seem to exist.

Thank you for any assistance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

... A clean 8-9mm pearl without orient is likely my desireable quality group...but that grade does not seem to exist.

Actually, Jeremy has what he terms gem grade freshwater pearls, which are as clean as Freshadamas but do not exhibit orient. They were the January Special-- an 8-9mm 16" strand.

Hello!

I have previously purchased (and am quite please with :p) PearlParadise.com's freshadama line (7-8mm white). However, I am now looking to buy my wife a new pearl necklace and am contemplating color (though pink-pink seems unattainable and peachy colors don't strike me right) or size increase.

Does anyone have the experience to comment on the relative quality of PP freshadama (currently own) relative to TPO gemstone and any other comparable grading scales? The reason for the question is the notable price difference in the 8-9mm 18" strand amongst the various lines, though descriptions seem relatively comparable. Though the 7-8mm strands are similarly priced amongst the lines, the 8-9mm strand (current object of interest) differ by hundreds of dollars.

Also, Costco.com currently lists a 9-10mm white freshwater pearl strand. I previously ordered/received/returned Costco pearls (akoya off-white), though the quality seemed very good (decided on all-nacre freshwaters...I won't really consider akoyas after learning more about pearls). I expect there to be strong variance in the Costco sample since their inventory is always subject to change.

Any guidance for 8-9mm freshwater pearl purchasing? Can I expect similar results to that found int he 7-8mm lines (with price jump, of course), or does the larger diameter give rise to degredation in surface cleanliness, etc, holding constant grading?

Lastly, can anyone comment on the relative quality (surface cleanliness and lustre mostly) between PearlParadise freshadama and AAA freshwaters? Orient is of second-order importance and the price break on the AAA is very appealling (obviously), though I cannot abide by degredation in surface quality. A clean 8-9mm pearl without orient is likely my desireable quality group...but that grade does not seem to exist.

Hi starvingstudent! (I hope You are not because of your pearl purchases, lol.

Presidental, Elite, Freshadama, Gem quality, all of them are the highest grade in freshwater to be had.

Sizes from 8 mm and up in this fine shape, surface and luster will cost several hundreds of dollars more than a 7-8 mm strand.
That goes naturally for Akoyas too. There the difference is even more marked.

The prices between our mentioned online vendors differ because of the sheer volumes that Pearl Paradise is selling. PP purchases the largest quantities and so is able to sell them cheaper to us customers than any other of our online vendors.

For the AAA grade: I have several strands in that grade, in fact my absolute favorite in white is such a strand and the surface is almost exactly as nice as the Freshadamas, perhaps it is the luster that is a bit shinier on the Freshadamas but I am certain that you can get a very nice AAA with larger pearls (9-10 mm) for a price that is substantially lower than the same would be in Freshadama quality. This AAA grade can sometimes have orient but mostly does not, but as the pearls have a nice shape, surface and luster, I can recommend them, especially if you are a starving student!:D

While most of the gem lines mentioned above are sourced in the same way, different vendors would have slightly different specifications.

Space Needle,

thanks for the pics, I had not looked at them specifically but Raisondetre told it very nicely what the differences can depend on between different companies. And personally I think it is great, if another vendor then just PP (my favorite) can compete by having a price that is even lower than PP:s...:D

I agree with starvingstudent ( because I'm one myself! :D ) Orient is not on my list of important considerations when buying a round strand since I think that the orient isn't that strong on round pearls anyway.

Hello!

Starving Student,
Regarding Costco's pearls...I went to the store near my house and looked at the 7-8 or 6-7 strand recently ( I don't remember the exact size, but it's smaller than 9-10); and compared its luster to my PP's AAA FW earrings. The strand has very good luster, but there is no orient and is almost as shiny as my earrings (just a tiny notch below compared to PP's). The white color matches perfectly with the earrings though. I can't speak for the 9-10 mm on Costco.com because I have not seen it in person. As far as ordering online from Costco.com, I don't think you have an option to specify anything. Even the Tahitian pearl strand comes as is, no overtone can be specified. I have also seen this strand in the store a few years ago. If my memory serves correctly, the pearls are good quality but not shiny as my Tahitian dangle earrings from TPO's specials. They (Costco's) were dark grey body with dark gray/green overtone.

Last edited:
Back