Worn gold on pendant drop

Ayane

Hi

I have a pearl pendant that is quite special to me, but recently the gold on the pendant drop wore out and so I can no longer wear it.

Is there any way I can successfully get the pendant drop out without damaging the pearl?

Thanks in advance,
Ayane

Is there any way I can successfully get the pendant drop out without damaging the pearl?

I've had good luck removing pearls from settings using hot water to soften the glue. I submersed a ring in a glass of water and microwaved it, but I've heard you could also just pour hot (boiling) water over it. Doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on the pearl. Doesn't actually dissolve the glue, but softens it enough to remove the setting.

That's my layperson advice, though...better wait for the experts!;)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be able to reset the drop so you can continue to wear your beloved pearl.

Sheri

Thanks for that Sheri :)

I certainly hope I can replace it soon - I do miss wearing it :D

Well, I have just read the thread - thanks :)

Using the boiling water certainly seems like the best way (I'm not too fond of putting metal in a microwave!).

I'll try this later on today and see how it goes. One question though... Since the glue doesn't dissolve in water, will I need to do anything else to it to glue another post in, or will it be alright with the existing glue in it?

Thanks again,
Ayane

Well, I put the pearl in boiling water... It has been in there for quite some time and so far, the setting won't budge :(

Since the pearl is fairly old, would a different method have been used to glue it that makes it stronger and, if so, what could I do to get it out?

Last edited:
The pearl's age has nothing to do with the setting's age. Give it some time, keep softening the glue in the boiling water. Clean it well before applying another setting. Depending on how pliable the glue becomes, you can use a flexible toothpick with "teeth" or anything which allows you to freely move inside the drill hole to get the gunk out.

RE: 'boiling water' .... do you folks boil the pearls? I only ever dared to keep them in fairly hot water for a few hours (as long as it takes). Basically, I didn't want them anywhere I wouldn't put my hand in :rolleyes:

Only dealt with a few cases, of course. And the oldest went the easiest so far.

Normally, I would agree with you that you should treat pearls in the same fashion you would treat your hands. However, sometimes there comes a time when you are faced with the possibility of losing the pearl if the setting can't be removed. If you are going to lose it anyway, then take the measures you deem necessary. I know someone who dropped lye into a drill hole to dissolve a metal findings which wouldn't come out any other way. Not only did the pearl survive, it thrived and she wears it today.

Back