Where to find marking on screw-back earrings?

Anne21

Can anyone advise me where to look for the markings on the back of these earrings? They belonged to a relative and may have been purchased in Japan in the 50s. I'm including a picture of the earrings and one showing the box. Macro pictures aren't showing up very well so far. I'll try again when the sun comes out, but thought maybe someone could suggest where to look. Any other comments are welcome as well!

Silver pearl leaf earrings.jpg Silver pearl leaf Mikimoto earrings in box.jpg

Hi, in my experience of vintage Mikimoto screw back earrings, the "M in a clamshell" Mikimoto hallmark is usually on the outside end of screw-in head.

They look like a Mikimoto design to me, the millgrain edge on the leaves is quite disinctive.

I'd say they were well loved, the small pearls look to have aged (probably from skin contact) a lot more than the larger pearls.

I'm sure the silver would look a lot nicer with a gentle polish with a soft cloth and some silver cleaner (taking care to avoid the pearls).

Thank you. I tried to look on the ends but I think they will require a little polishing to be able to see it. I'm a little nervous about trying to polish them but will be very careful. If I can get better pictures I'll post them.

Back