Where to buy south sea pearls on Bali

SofieS

Hello all,
I will soon travel to Bali/Lombok on vacation, and am looking to buy a pair of southsea pearl earrings as I hope that they hopefully will be cheaper there than in my homecountry Denmark. Does anyone know a reputable seller of southsea pearls in Bali? I have read many stories now at this forum about tourists being taken advantage of at Green Hills market with Chinese freshwater pearls and would like to avoid being totally ripped off. How much should I expect to pay for a pair of fitted earrings?
Many thanks,
Sofie

Hi from a fellow Dane :)

There is a member of the forum, Augustus Collection, who is based in Bali. You'll find several posts by him here. You can try to pm him.

- Karin

PS

A friend of mine bought two SSP's on Bali - the real deal. I have no idea what she paid, but I can ask her.

- Karin

Thank you! I would really appreciate if you could ask your friend, so I know what to expect :)

I always enjoy checking Atlas galleries whenever I visit Bali. Price is a bit high but their pearls are truly gorgeous :)

There are many pearl vendors in Lombok as well. Just need to be careful and know exactly what you're looking for. They like to say cheap freshwater pearls as "Lombok pearls" which is not true. But if you ask for south sea pearls, they will show you the real ones.

Hello Sophie,
My name Wayan, I lived in Bali. I can show you some good south sea pearl if you come to Bali.

Usually i make the jewelries by request from customer

Last edited by a moderator:
That invitation from wayan is from someone we do not know at all. And it is not acceptable to us when a new person we do not know starts selling his pearls and or services over here on this forum. Vendors are only allowed to put their contact information beneath their signature, not in the body of the text.

Wayan, If you are on Bali, I suggest you contact Sven at Augustus pearls and let him judge your pearls and your prices, because we know who he is from years of seeing his products and having him post here and having many happy customers we know. He can help anyone going to Bali, much better than a caveat emptor seller who just showed up. If you have good pearls, he will know.

You may, however, post photos of some of your jewelry work and pearls, so we can get to know you. As we get to know you, perhaps my attitude will change.

Right now we have no idea if you are selling these out of a raincoat and they are shell pearls, or what your policies are for handling purchases and money from customers. I hope you understand that I am just being careful for our readers, not just being mean to you.

Last edited:
Thanks Caitlin, for reminding me. Honestly, i don't know much yet about this forum rule and regulations.
i will try to find Sven to learn something from him.
Again Thanks.

Good luck in your endeavors!

I think the rules are under the FAQ section....I hope all venders will read it and get the sense of contributing photos and comments is what the posts are about. Venders may put their contact information and/or webpages under their signatures.

The photos are educational and eye candy and are the heart of the forum - for pearls must be seen to be enjoyed.

However, a forum member who likes an item, is free to directly contact the person displaying it and free to describe what they buy and where they buy it and especially put up photos.

It is hard to make a rule in concrete; when encountering new types of pearls on the market, people may ask about the ballpark prices. But we would rather such discussion stayed out of the forum itself but for unusual or new items. We have a completely private PM system for inquiries and negotiations. No admin can read people's PM's; they really are private, and thus we also have a rule about not disclosing another's PM unless it is to an Admin and there is a problem.

I tend to cut some slack to people with genuine natural pearls- they are so unusual.

Hi sofie,

I am going to be 'unhelpful' here. Since you are all the way from denmark, why not try to visit a real life pearl farm? I mean whoa! Won't that be a story to tell your grandkids! Right so, i have absalutely no idea which radiant angel to contact to get you into a pearl farm. Thus being unhelpful. ;(

There are plenty of loose pearls being sold there and as was mentioned by the venerables here, just do watch out for the switcharoo. Or go find PG fellows in bali?

Back