Where to buy oysters with pearls inside?

nosylla

Hi all!

I have recently come across some videos on youtube demonstrating people opening what they claim to be Akoya oysters and removing a pearl. I was wondering if there is any reliable places to purchase the oysters to harvest my own pearls. I noticed Ebay sold the oysters, but are these fakes? Any help is appreciated as I am new to the pearl world!

Ohhhh you should've read other threads about the oysters with pearl inside. I dont know how to put other threads links here regarding to that. Im sure someone will post it. This communitt dont really like those kind of oysters with pearl thingy inside it. They said its using dead akoya oysters then planting cheap aff low quality aff ugly aff freshwater pearls inside it then...preserve it in some dangerous chemical and sold it in overpriced exuberant blatantly expensive to unsuspected costumers. Its a shady practice. They dont like it. I dont like it because the pearls are so small dyed in garish color and ugly. Plain ugly. Thats all I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nosylla, Yes those are pearl party oysters. You can also find them sold at tourist areas. Pearl parties sell akoya shells with freshwater pearls that have been inserted into them, freshwater shells with freshwater pearls inserted in them and rarely akoya shells with akoyas inserted into them. Not to be outdone, some are now inserting Black south sea pearls into black lipped oyster shells.

If you look at the pearls, they are commercial quality and not something you would really want to wear or be proud to show your friends. Some are dyed and some are natural colors but all are over priced for what you are buying. The chemicals used to keep these mollusks from rotting while in storage are also dangerous to you and who ever is around you when you open the package. Does this sound like something you really want to buy?

Back