What kind of pearl?

Cees

Can you guess what kind of pearl this is?

Attachments

• 19.12mm.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 42
It looks faux to me. The reflection and luster look different than a real ( cultured) pearl -too smooth, too perfect , without any overtone and it is too (?) perfectly round without any character.. I'm probably wrong, but that was my first impression. Could also be the way the photo was taken.

It looks faux to me. The reflection and luster look different than a real ( cultured) pearl -too smooth, too perfect , without any overtone and it is too (?) perfectly round without any character.. I'm probably wrong, but that was my first impression. Could also be the way the photo was taken.

2thdktr, your advise is exactly the reason I think it's a second or third graft, allowing to produce giant pearls around big beads (nacre is thin, and bead gives a perfectly spherical pearl), grafted in the pearl bag first made by the oyster, but for the result of a lower nacre look.

Hmmm...Cook Islands pearl maybe? Not Tahitian since not from F.P., but same oyster....

South Sea-- wow! It's logical, given the size, but I've never heard of one that color.

Wow- would(obviously) have never guessed! Could we please see more pictures of it?

Eric, when oysters are older than 2 years some molusks become bigger also and when you leave the pearl longer in the oyster than 2 years then you can be surprised.

Seen a 20 mm Tahitian on the Basel Fair in Switzerland.

Back