What kind of beads is this?

Carina

SAM_1674.jpg What kind of beads is this? The lock is marked with 830

They could be faux pearls. To see if they are, rub two together gently, should be lightly gritty if cultured, smooth if faux.

When I rub them against my teeth they are a little gritty?against each other not quite sure?

Carina,

Thank you for the additional photos. The 830 is possibly the Scandinavian mark for silver. Is it possible the necklace came from there? Are the pearls vintage? I see a dark spot on the clasp. Has the finish worn off there?

830 would mean 83% pure silver, 17% copper or other metals.

Carina,

Thank you for the additional photos. The 830 is possibly the Scandinavian mark for silver. Is it possible the necklace came from there? Are the pearls vintage? I see a dark spot on the clasp. Has the finish worn off there?

830 would mean 83% pure silver, 17% copper or other metals.
They are bought in Sweden 28 years ago at a juvelerare.Kan they be Majorca pearls? The dark spot is probably just something that stuck: Will clean it better.
I love beads and have a say as to be genuine saltwater pearls ...

Well, some of the mystery is solved.

When you look at the pearls in person do you see some slight differences in size and luster on the pearls? Any blemishes, like small pits? A photo of those would help also.

Find a place on the strand where the thread is a bit stretched out so you can look at the edge of the drill hole. Please take a photo close up if possible.

IF they are cultured pearls, from 28 years ago they would be (saltwater) akoya, not freshwater. Approximately what size are they? The luster doesn't look quite like akoya. Perhaps they could be Majorica.

Odd, but Majorica pearls fetch prices matching or exceeding many cultured pearls! Looking at the drill hole may help you tell if they are cultured or manufactured.

Back