What is this Mikimoto worth?

jellybean

Trying to find out for my friend what the necklace is worth. She wants to sell it on e-bay but does not know what to sell it for. Please help me.
View attachment 19973 IMG_20121208_120804.jpgIMG_20121209_003734.jpgIMG_20121209_144759.jpg

Hi and welcome,

What you do is follow auctions on eBay for necklaces that look like yours. You want to see if the sell and at what price they were actually sold (not the listing price). Do that for a while and you'll more about how to price the necklace than we can tell you :)

When it becomes time for you to list it, I recall from other postings here on PG that it is important to list as much as possible about the history of the necklace. It is not uncommon to use a Mikomoto clasp for a random string of pearls, so if people are to pay a premium for it being Mikimoto, they need to be convinced.

- Karin

The surface on some of those pearls doesn't look very good, and the luster doesn't seem very good either. I would not have thought them to be Mikimotos if all I saw was the pearls and not the clasp. As KarinK pointed out, people do sell non-Miki pearls with a Miki clasp --and Miki clasps are also counterfeited.

Do look at completed listings on eBay, but realize that a fine quality strand will sell for more than one with lower luster and surface quality.

If she lists it she must be careful to photograph closeup shots of the flaws, to avoid having the pearls returned by a disappointed buyer.

Right! Look through the Completed listings for necklaces that actually sold, find out if she has the presentation box and any papers.

A good cleaning helps a lot, too. Silk gets discolored looking. Some find it helpful to re-string the necklace so it looks really fresh, others decide to take a little less rather than pay for re-stringing.

good luck!

Back