Trying to Replace a Stolen Ring

bhasden

My wife had some jewelry stolen and I'm trying to replace an item or two for Mother's Day. One of the items is a Mikimoto ring. I'm a jewelry and pearl novice, but I read the guide here and also looked up how to spot fake Mikimoto jewelry. Even though I've done some research, I feel a bit lost. Since I stumbled across this website, I figured I'd ask a favor of the community and see if someone could help determine if this item on eBay looks to be authentic. Obviously it's impossible to tell for sure from a few photos, but I'd like to be reasonably sure the item is legitimate before purchasing.

An album with images from the auction are at http://imgur.com/a/SFPEL.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

The seller has poor feedback-- did you read his negatives? (edited by me so as not to reveal your seller to everyone, in case you still want to buy the item.)

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Payment accepted, said they had shipped it, then cancelled my order! Dishonest!Buyer: d***r ( 187
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
During past month
Auth Bvlgari Parentesi Cocktail Amethyst Diamond Ring 344938 #12.5 (DH41400) (# edited by me])US $3,980.00[link edited by me]
iconNeg_16x16.gif
Really cheap quality and lookingBuyer: e***e ( 5 )During past month
Auth Chanel Metal CC Coco Mark Rhinestones Pierced Earrings 05V (DH40967) (# [edited by me])US $275.00[link edited by me]
Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.

iconNeg_16x16.gif
Total fake - verified by actual Tiffany jewelry store. Buyer beware!Buyer: 3***3 ( 749
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
)
During past 6 months
AUTH TIFFANY&Co. SILVER 925 RETURN TO PENDANT NECKLACE 34.25" CHAIN (DH31546) (#[edited by me])US $115.00

Brian, definitely avoid this and most ebay sellers. You might want to check out RubyLane.com for Mikimoto rings. More likely to get an authentic piece there. So sorry about the stolen jewelry. Are you looking for a vintage piece? I recommend taking your time and make sure there is a good return policy whatever you purchase. We're always happy to offer our opinion here.

Brian, definitely avoid this and most ebay sellers. You might want to check out RubyLane.com for Mikimoto rings. More likely to get an authentic piece there. So sorry about the stolen jewelry. Are you looking for a vintage piece? I recommend taking your time and make sure there is a good return policy whatever you purchase. We're always happy to offer our opinion here.

Thanks for the heads up on RubyLane.com. I'm not necessarily looking for a vintage piece, I'm more looking for a certain style. Ideally it would be a single large pearl in the middle and a circle of small diamonds around the outside, but any simple single pearl ring would suffice to "replace" one of the rings that was taken.

I visited China for about five consecutive years and each time, there were numerous sellers of fake Tiffany, Rolex, Cartier, LV, and you name it, designer items. I recently purchased a Yurman ring on ebay and returned it because it was fake. What they show you in the pictures isn't always what you're going to get. If you're going to buy on ebay, buy from a reputable seller. I don't know who your seller is but having lots of new items from one brand is a real big red flag. When I told the Yurman seller my ring's stone had a chip (which it did), he told me he'd replace it. Big.Red.Flag. My concept on purchasing on ebay is to assume it is fake until I get it and run a few tests on it. For what it is worth, the Mikimoto clam shell on the ring is not truly even, and I don't think it is lighting. Because Japanese are perfectionists, I would be a little worried.

Back