true blue

GemGeek said:
Valeria is right, there will always be a few bad apples. With Paspaley, they are soooo good at it, that it was hard to find any rejects.

Yes, I agree.. good way of looking at it. Paspaley is very much known for their incredible pearls, that's why I wondered if their farm could produce such a pearl. I wonder what causes a pearl to form like that? I had no idea that type of formation was possible, truly fascinating.

xeresana said:
Blue is rare? Intense blue? I thought platinum blue was a fairly common color in South Seas pearls. Did I dream that up?

I have seen the platinum blue pearls, but I haven't seen much in the way of a true blue. I have seen pinks that are really pink, and lavenders that are really purple and golds that are really gold, but the blues are generally silvery-blue or blue-grey, and while they are lovely, they are not really blue.

xeresana said:
Blue is rare? Intense blue? I thought platinum blue was a fairly common color in South Seas pearls. Did I dream that up? I thought I had seen that posted here before but, I can't find it anywhere. Or maybe it just commands less price than a white or a golden? Was that it?

There was a recent thread discussing the surprising fact that akoyas are common in blue, but are bleached white during processing so no one sees them. South Sea pearls do come in a silvery blue, but they are rare, surely less than .5% are blue.

Here is a fabulous example of blue South Sea pearls. Scroll down for the closeups!;) http://cgi.ebay.com/BREATHTAKING-22...ryZ10980QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
Blaire

Back