Top 5 tools

kelluvpearls

Consumer
After asking Katbran, I thought it might be fun and useful to ask about everybody's top 5 most frequently used or indispensable tool for jewelry making. You may choose to include the brand as well as not every brand is equal.
If you have more than 5 please list them all. :D:D

Last edited:
I have other tools, but these are the ones I use most.

1. A magnifier worn on the head.
We have this one: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Donegan-Optivisors/113199?Pos=1

2. pliers:
bent nose, chain nose and round nose primarily.
Also nylon head pliers to straighten wire.
And pointy tweezers.

3. cutters:
Mostly I use flush wire cutters. For cutting gimp I use cuticle trimmers that I reserve just for that use.
I use a cheap razor knife to cut pearls apart.

4. hammers:
• chasing hammer and a miniature anvil (If I did it again I would buy a steel block instead of the anvil, for the larger surface. I still may.)
• nylon head/rubber head hammers, to work harden metal without flattening it.

5. To make loops and bails, when my round nose pliers won't do:
bail forming pliers, mandrels

6. tape measure

7. beading boards-- curved and straight.

1. definitely a good thing to have - the head set magnifiers. You can get them at AJS supplies but price them against the USD ones overseas. Mine are OptiVisor .. you can get interchangeable eye pieces..but I just got the regular ones..they are fine.
2. Pliers - three different sizes of the chain nose PLUS these super skinny nose ones that are really useful .. by Xuron
3.Flush cutters - heavy wire cutters
3 Round nose pliers - two sizes...regular and teeny for teeny loops
4.The pliers that are half round... top bit is half round..bottom bit is flat ... very good if you work with metals.
5. thread zapper - burns through the threads and cuts/seals it.
6. bead boards/tape measure/ruler
7. Digital callipers...you can get bead smith ones - don't have to be fancy..but helpful with sorting your pearls

Yes, those are all good supplies to have...I would just add a stash of Beader's Secret in light colors (for obviously light pearls) and darker shades (for Tahitians and greys)....oh and add to that a stash of beading wire, crimps, and crimp covers (if you want to make items with stones). If you do use wire, you will need a crimping tool, but you can also use ordinary flat pliers.

When you purchase things like a wire cutter, make sure you can use it on the material you want to use it on...some are not recommended for use with beading wires. I have two...an inexpensive one for nylon coated beading wire and a more expensive one for cutting my 14k wire.

I agree with what everyone else said.

I'd add:

Hemastats. Great for locking the end of the thread instead of a stop bead. Also great for pulling a needle through a tight hole.

Velour blanket cut into pieces to lay stuff on.

Little triangular bowls for scooping up loose pearls or just keeping rolling things from rolling away.

An Ott light.

Oh, if we are getting into general supplies, I have boxes of various metal findings, beads, wires and threads.
What I really need is a second cabinet to keep it all in. :eek:

Great ideas everyone, seems like I have a 'few' more tools to purchase.
That tool cabinet is wonderful! Love storage.

Back