Time to learn more ??

C

CLICLASP

Hello everybody,
Thanks to this forum, I have improved a lot my information on pearls and purchased better than I did before.
As I recently noticed that some of new members feel that this forum is more a place were non ebayers sellers defend themselves than a place providing buying info anywhere they want to buy, isn't time to write an ebay guide ? :)
Of course, you will always find terrible exemples to proove why not to buy, but as we say in french " don't throw the baby away with the bath water "Even if there is only a 1 % good, ebay remains a place where we have to provide education for better buying.

1 - always read the feedbacks of the seller (as a seller and not as a buyer); carefully reading the negative feedbacks is as important as the number of feedbacks left
2 - always paying with paypal to be protected
3 - beware of " too cheap to be true", don't look at 0,99 USD bid !
4 - beware of impossible pearls, China does't produce Tahitan pearls (or it's new and I don't know yet :) )
5 - apply to the seller to know for exemple, if it's Tahitian pearls from Pinctada Margaritifera or dyed from China with Tahitian look
6 - always read the return policy of the seller and buy only if there is one !
7 - in case the buyer thinks he has been cheated, filing a paypal claim within the 60 days of the purchase, providing a letter signed by his own buyer jeweller stating that pearls are not as the bid claimed to be (is it not necesarry to get a GIA certificate for false pearls... so it's easy)
8 - take a little time to browse and discover the ebay pearls sellers and "follow " the good purchasers through their feedbacks, and you will learn how to buy nice pearls at good prices

To be totally clear, I have the same pseudo everywhere on the web and buy 100 times more than I sell, I am very found of keshis, rare pearls (Kasumi, Cortez) and baroque ones (drusy, ringed and so) and have NEVER been cheated on buying pearls on ebay, even buying a perfect conch pearl in last may.

I also buy a lot in Paris shops, and consider a duty to help other collectors to buy in and out ebay.

Kind regards from Paris to everyone everywhere :)

Hi Clic

Thanks for that post. :D It is a good list and i hope we can gather some other tidbits and tips over here, too and combine it into one thread.

We do have a small collection of superior eBay shoppers over here and if it has to do with pearls, we want it on this forum! We tell all secrets, here and the secrets of successful trading on eBay can only be helpful!

For the most part I agree with CLICLASP, but I would not buy new pearls on eBay. This is just my perference. I would only go to a trusted source. I do look for old things on eBay, including pearls until I realized I was no match for more experienced pearlers. I have bought and sold (mainly antique silver) a little on eBay for almost 10 years. The best buys have always come from individuals ... crummy ad copy, bad photos, often don't know what they have or how to describe it, can't answer questions, usually selling as-is. That is risky buying that takes a pro. Also, in my category, I knew what could be fixed and what couldn't. Here's a picture of the last (and final) pearl purchase I will make on eBay. The seller was very honest and showed the damage. I fell in love anyway.
One side has little scuff marks. So far nothing has buffed them out. I'm waiting for the sunshine cloth.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
Hello All-

I would add to Cliclasp' list,
9. Verify that the picture is of the actual item for sale, sometimes even on higher price items, they use a generic photo, even on items close to $100 or more.

Pattye

Back