Thinnest Leather Cord Size?

mausketeer

Hi there. I would like to make some pearl necklaces on leather cord and am curious as to what is the thinnest leather that is available. Is 0.5mm the thinnest? I might just have to use hemp if I don't want to drill out the holes more...... even then, it may be too thick......

Any advice/information is appreciated! Thanks!

- Jodie -

I use 1.5mm and 2mm leather. would 0.5 have any durability?
Drilling out the pearls isn't too hard.
I am looking into getting strands of them done in advance when I go to HK next week - coincidence!
Is there a demand?

I've never seen .5mm genuine leather, but perhaps it is available somewhere. Like Wendy, I've used 1.5mm and 2.0mm and heavier only. Even then on occasion I've broken a cord when tying knots.

Many options available in fibers, hemp, waxed cotton and linen, and some lovely silks. Hope you'll show us what you are making!

I get mad when I type a response and forget to post it...

In the meanwhile, Pattye essentially made my post for me. Hemp is the strongest of the natural fibers and will not rot, even in a damp climate.

I had one other thought. Artificial sinew this brand comes in 14 colors. You can separate sinew into smaller threads, just like the real sinew.

Oh cool! Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah, I think the 0.5 I saw was real leather but I hadn't really considered durability - that's a good point (I tend to break chain necklaces as it is let alone a thin leather cord.......)

I think I'm going to break down one of the vintage baroque akoya necklace's that I just bought and make a few sort of "station" necklaces on some pretty cord. I think I'll use pinks and lilacs etc. Not sure if there's a demand for something like that....... I'm just not the type to wear a strand of white pearls myself and I really like them (the vintage akoyas) and I thought it was a way to make them more of an "everyday" sort of item, you know? I might give them to my friends as gifts or their daughters........

Of course I'll post photos!

Back