Tahitian pearl size

Ithaki

Hi!

I am new to the pearl world, but have quickly become obsessed. I recently purchased a pair of Tahitian studs...my first pearl purchase as well as my first online purchase. I adore the overtone in real life (cannot capture it on camera) but I am somewhat disappointed by the size; they seem rather small.

Prior to buying I was looking for a larger size, however I could only find the exact overtone I wanted in the size ( 1mm smaller) that I finally ordered. I chose colour over size but now I am unsure of my choice.

It would be helpful if anyone had a moment to tell me what size they think the studs are, please. I will attach photos I took of them against a tape measure.

fullsizeoutput_753.jpgfullsizeoutput_753.jpgfullsizeoutput_753.jpg

Tahitian pearls are usually sold in a size range, for example, 9-10mm. Both of these pearls are in the 9-10mm range.
The left one is a little smaller than the right one, but both are within 9-10mm range.

(I used my own millimeter ruler to measure the photo of the pearls and of the ruler and then I used a ratio to calculate the size of the pearls in real life.)

Last edited:
Tahitian pearls are usually sold in a size range, for example, 9-10mm. Both of these pearls are in the 9-10mm range.
The left one is a little smaller than the right one, but both are within 9-10mm range.

(I used my own millimeter ruler to measure the photo of the pearls and of the ruler and then I used a ratio to calculate the size of the pearls in real life.)

Pearl Dreams-- you are the math whiz. Always impressive.

Thank you so very much!

I apologise for the multiple postings; I am pretty awful at technology and couldn't see my posts so I thought they hadn't gone up.

When I put them against the tape my eye told me they were 8mm. I looked through the internet to see if I could understand pearl size against ruler vs real life, but could only find information about measuring them with callipers, which I do not have.

I am very glad you say 9-10mm as that is what I had purchased, so a big phew as I was concerned that a smaller size had accidentally been sent! I was rather disappointed and confused.

Oh well now I know for future purchases I will only go for bigger sizes as that is what I like.

Thank you so very much for your help, it really has put my mind at ease!

Last edited:
Ithaki,
You couldn't see your posts right away because they had to be manually approved. We'd be inundated with spam if all new members' posts appeared automatically. :rolleyes:

((2thdktr)) I've been thinking of you and wondering how the knotting is going. Has your busy schedule allowed you to tackle it yet?

Pearl Dreams I understand now, thank you. Future postings of mine won't be duplicates!

Beadsmith makes one that is very inexpensive and surprisingly accurate lol I whipped it out at a South Sea Wholesaler booth in March , HK, and he said ' oh use mine, those digital ones aren't accurate .... then we compared the readings and they were exactly the same. He looked a bit sheepish that my 12$ Caliper did as well as his 350$ one.

Katbran, you motivated me to buy one. I've always wanted a digital one.

My husband has a micrometer but I hate to use it on pearls as it's brass.

Also, every millimeter you go up in size also doubles the weight of the pearl. My earlobes have a weight limit.

Also, every millimeter you go up in size also doubles the weight of the pearl....

Actually, that's only true for very small pearls. The per cent larger/heavier decreases as the pearls themselves get larger.

Although a 5mm pearl is almost 2x as large (and heavy) as a 4mm, pearl, an 8mm pearl is only 1.5x as large as a 7mm pearl-- and a 14mm pearl is only 1.25x as large as a 13mm pearl.

I only point this out to say: when pearls seem too small, a mere 1mm increase is often just the right thing! :)

However I agree completely with the second part, BWeaves-- my earlobes have a weight limit, too! I love the look of large pearl dangles but I can't wear them for very long before they begin to annoy me.

Edited to add:
As far as round studs go, the larger the pearl, the more it protrudes from the earlobe, the greater the rotatory force exerted. (Torque increases with distance from the axis of rotation, which in this case is the earlobe.)
This is why a larger stud will droop more than a smaller stud. That in itself makes it feel heavier. Large earring backs help to compensate.
Flatter studs, such as button shaped pearls, protrude less and therefore droop less.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm super weird when it comes to stud earring size. I have two pair of Kamokas I was able to snag in the past year - a pair of mismatched black-and-white (more like midnight and silver, but) button keshi that are around 5mm, and a pair of "petite" 8.7mm midnight rounds. I put "petite" in quotes because they look pretty monstrous on my ears, and I cannot imagine getting a bigger size, they're almost TOO big! ;) I wear the keshi nearly CONSTANTLY in both my first and second holes, depending on how understated I want to look... so, PSS will probably only apply to me when it comes to necklaces :D

I have 2 sets of Kamoka mismatched Tahitian studs in dark purple and pale blue grey, and peacock green and pale lavender. And I have a pair of Hanadama studs from PP. All are a bit bigger than 9 mm and I have larger earring backs on them than normal so the studs sit up on my earlobe and don't droop. 9.5 mm seems to be my limit for studs before they feel too heavy and droop unattractively. It's also a good size that looks centered on my earlobe.

As I've gotten older, I haven't gotten fatter, but I got thicker. My earlobes are bigger, so my old 7 mm studs looked lost on my ears. Anything around 10 mm or larger looks like I'm wearing gumballs. I think large pearls look great on other people, but I feel like they don't look right on me based on my face shape, ear shape, and hole position in my ear. Now drops, on the other hand, I can handle a slightly larger pearl.

Back