Suggestions needed for stringing tiny pearls

sobellejanet

Community member
I have a collection of Add-a-pearls (natural pearls, 43 to be exact) given to me by my aunt for my daughters from the time the first was born in 1969 until I don't remember when--as birthday or Christmas gifts. Today, the older daughter is deceased and the younger couldn't care less about them and I thought I might do something with them for my granddaughter (from deceased daughter), who is just about to be a Senior in high school. Most of the pearls are incredibly tiny (1mm, I suppose, with some 2mm and 3mm). Don't know what to do? Can send photos but I suspect you know what I'm talking about. I was thinking about stringing them with something else, doing something more creative and contemporary, but using nice pearls that are worthy of putting with tiny natural pearls. I just saw a vintage strand of graduated small natural pearls (probably from 1mm to about 5 or 6mm to become a 16 inch strand) that did not appear to be knotted. Are they? Any suggestions would be helpful. If this is not the right place to post this, let me know. But I would like to try stringing them myself.

sobellejanet, you weren't getting any replies on the stringing tutorial thread so I moved your post to its own thread. Hopefully folks will have some suggestions. :)

Actually, I have no idea what you are talking about. I can't imagine an add-a-pearl necklace with 1-3 mm natural pearls. I've never seen anything like that. Can you post photos?

See Pictures

See Pictures

Pearl Dreams, thanks for moving me. I knew I probably did the wrong thing jumping in where I did. I'm not that good at this forum stuff.

Here are a few pictures. Normally, one receives several tiny pearls as gifts, then eventually receives larger and larger pearls until one has enough for a graduated pearl necklace. Needless to say, the larger pearls, being natural, are very expensive, so nobody in this family ever sprung to spend that kind of money.

I called the Add-a-pearl company earlier this week to ask about them. The size of the 1/A (which is located on the back of the card) is approximately 1.6-1.7 mm, according to the person with whom I spoke and they are natural. She also said they are usually knotted though with the small ones, the knot is about the size of the pearl. That is to keep the pearls from rubbing against each other.

Maybe I should just wait for "my ship to come in" and create a full graduated strand. But any input from you pearl wizards will be greatly appreciated. I met many of you at the recent Pearl Ruckus. You definitely have more experience with pearls than I do! IMG_0703.jpgIMG_0702.jpgIMG_0701.jpg

Ah, it becomes clear. What we have is a confusion of terms. A natural pearl is a wild pearl. What you have are cultured or farmed Akoya pearls. Which are grown in the sea in the far east, usually Japan or Vietnam
This add-a-pearl thing is a great marketing ploy. You need to check the price of a strand of good akoya pearls from online vendors. You might have to save up to get a strand but buying one or two from this company will cost far, far more. You could certainly add the pearls you already have to a strand (all online vendors could match) to have a necklace with the special sentiment intact

Back