Strand Comparison

Strand Comparison

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Bottom

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, the quality of the Mikis (both AA and AAA) are outstanding, it’s clearly not just the brand name you are paying for with Miki (although of course that’s a large part of it). I also expected the Handama strand to stand up to the AA. Thanks for the photos!

Personally, I think Mikimoto is still THE authority when it comes to pearls. Their designs are top notch, and they always provide something fresh and timeless.

For strands, the Miki pearls are well matched and the quality is definitely there. The tenyo comes really close to an AA (i just can't find my photo), but admittedly, Miki still wins at the color matching. I also did not see Miki pearls with the mottling effect in any of the strands we checked out. They are that selective, and the price to pay for such premium is understandable.

But to be honest, once the strands are worn around the neck, the differences are hardly noticeable.

Will I pay for Miki jewelry? duh, yeah! I'm planning for some earrings and a pendant. These ones are gorgeous IRL.
Miki project.jpg

Will I pay for a Miki strand RIGHT NOW? Uhm, maybe not. I'll be too conscious about getting it scratched or "hurting" it with my sweat or by the pollution in the air. ;) And well, it's like wearing a plain black top from Uniqlo and a plain black top from say Chanel. It doesn't make much of a difference from afar. Maybe when I hit the lottery jackpot or inherit some Zuckerberg money somehow.

Just my 2 cents worth! :)

I have to admit, the most beautiful pearls I have ever seen were both Mikimoto strands. The AAA akoya are stunning. But an 18 inch 7.5-8mm strand was retailing at $10K USD almost 10 years ago, so would be more now. Three or four years ago I saw a 35 inch multicolor round Tahitian Mikimoto strand. I have never seen pearls so deeply coloured, unblemished, and lustrous. They held colour in full sunlight despite being in the 10 - 12 mm range. But the price tag was $60K (I was wearing them at the time that this was revealed, and I almost fainted). So for that kind of money, you'd expect nothing but the absolute best.

I do wish that pearl grading would become more universal like other gemstones. There could be standards like the 4 C's of diamonds - only for pearls it might be size, luster, surface blemishing, shape, and colour, with different colours being valued more for different types of pearls. So for golden south sea, obviously depth of colour is a factor in price. For WSS, overtone influences value so the colour categories could factor that in. For Tahitians, overtone colour and depth of colour would factor in to the colour grade. Akoya could rate body colour and overtone as well, and there could be standard pearls for matching comparisons like there are for diamonds and coloured stones. I think this would remove a lot of confusion and remove some of the variability that some less scrupulous vendors take advantage of in their grading systems.

I'm strangely nervous. The stand is back with the vendor now and I'm waiting for their decision. *bites knuckles* I gotta hope they will be cool with the exchange.

I tell my daughter that "nervous" is the flip side of "excited". :)

Are you asking for photos of several strands to choose from, or asking them to choose for you?

I tell my daughter that "nervous" is the flip side of "excited". :)

There is an element of excitement! I'm just also worried they're going to tell me 'sorry, we can't help you'. :p

Are you asking for photos of several strands to choose from, or asking them to choose for you?

I haven't reached that point yet. <.< I'd like to see pictures but I have to wait to see what they're going to do. I did send the images of the Miki strand beside the hanadama and requested something that would be closer to the Miki.... just not quite sure about the process.

Well the Miki is pinked, so maybe ask for photos of pinked strands?
Did you like the tone of the Miki against your skin? That matters more than what it looks like against a cloth.

I think between you and PP you will be able to come up with something you love. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Well the Miki is pinked, so maybe ask for photos of pinked strands?
Did you like the tone of the Miki against your skin? That matters more than what it looks like against a cloth.

I think between you and PP you will be able to come up with something you love. Hang in there!

Yay! They're going to send some pictures for me to pick from. (Should I be a HUGE dork and share them here?)

I think the color difference was so slight in the pinked vs natural that I didn't notice too much when it was on me. What I liked was the orient on the pinked ones and the difference in the depth of reflection. I think a baroque strand is going to be in my future soon.

Ooooh, hanadama eye candy! Nice! :D

It would boil down to your preference. If you liked the pinked overtone of the Miki strand (which based on this discussion, I think you're leaning towards that), then go for the top one. Middle strand looks ivory/creamy, bottom is more silvery. Luster seems to be the same across all three. That, or I need a new pair of eyeglasses and a review of the CPAA course. :cool:

In my case, I have medium tanned skin, and jewelers usually offer me the ivory pearls to blend with my skin. I never liked them, they remind me of aged pearls. :p Funny, but I think I look better with the rose overtone ones, like the baroque strand that I just bought. To each his own, c'est la vie!

Keep us posted!

Which one does your eye keep going back to?

ooh, Also: the bottom strand is the original strand. I think the others have more color/vibrancy where the original is more monotone. I thought I'd like the natural more, but I think I'm going for the pink one. It's 'pearly' to me. That sounds silly.

Not silly-- I understand what you mean. We have an idea in our heads of "what pearls look like". Of course they can -- and do-- look many different ways, but we still have that concept, based on whatever cultural exposure we have had to pearls throughout our lives. It's an unconscious expectation.

A few months ago I found a nice graduated akoya strand at a consignment shop. One day when I was looking at them in the mirror something clicked in my mind; I realized that when I thought of a classic pearl necklace, that was what I imagined. Odd.

Here, I'll show you the necklace. Until this necklace I always thought I preferred white-white akoyas. And not graduated. Yet this one just felt "right" somehow.

Attachments

• Consignment shop akoyas with 14K diamond clasp.jpg
    Consignment shop akoyas with 14K diamond clasp.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Not silly-- I understand what you mean. We have an idea in our heads of "what pearls look like". Of course they can -- and do-- look many different ways, but we still have that concept, based on whatever cultural exposure we have had to pearls throughout our lives. It's an unconscious expectation.

A few months ago I found a nice graduated akoya strand at a consignment shop. One day when I was looking at them in the mirror something clicked in my mind; I realized that when I thought of a classic pearl necklace, that was what I imagined. Odd.

Here, I'll show you the necklace. Until this necklace I always thought I preferred white-white akoyas. And not graduated. Yet this one just felt "right" somehow.

Ooh! Yes, I love the graduated strands too. Those make me think of vintage akoya. ;) They are beautiful. Nice big center too. Pretty!

Here are my Mikis. (We think they are pre WWII given the family history)

NeckShhot.jpg

This one is very ivory and aged but it's been my gateway into pearls. ;) Now I'm so hooked!

Last edited:
I agree, whichever your eye is drawn toward is the strand you should choose. And your family heirloom strand is beautiful! For me, pinks do nothing against my skin...that middle strand would be calling to me. And just a note on that middle one, it looks as if it has not yet been strung.

My favourite is the pinked strand, followed by the middle. Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

Back