South Sea Black colored pearl

P

P. Lee

Is a South Sea Black colored pearl (about 8mm)expensive?

Among South Sea pearls, is black colored pearl rare and expensive?

Regards.

P Lee

An 8mm black pearl first of all is not typically of South Sea origin. 8mm pearls are most common in Akoya, and black would be an enhanced color. Black South Sea pearls are produced in the size, however, but not in abundance. They are commonly referred to as South Sea Tahitian pearls, however. The rarity, although, is not a factor. Black pearls are much more prevalent than white, as there are many more South Sea Tahitian pearl farms than there are 'Pinctada Maxima', or white and Golden South Sea pearl farms.

So IF the pearl is a South Sea Tahitian and not an Akoya, and if the pearl is round, without flaws, it would wholesale for approximately $20 per pearl. This in turn would retail for approximately $70. This is for a top-quality pearl, however.

When I was in China I went to the pearl market in Beijing and looked at a necklace of Tahiti pearls. The lady running the store named Sharon told me that all Tahiti pearls have their color made darker before they are sold. Is this really always the case? I have a necklace that my husband purchased a few years ago and I have a certificate that says the pearls are natural color. But now I am confused.

Alejandra,

I would not worry too much about your Tahitian pearls being colored. This is probably NOT the case.

The reason the seller told you this in China is probably because the vast majority of Tahitian pearls coming out of China have been color enhanced. These are typically easy to spot, however. They are most commonly a bronze color, or a very solid color without orient.

I am sure your pearls are of natural color. Tahitian pearl farmers and ethical Tahitian dealers do not enhance the color of their pearls unless this is fully disclosed before sale.

Back