row of 171 pearls

Hi Junenicholls,

I would recommend you take the pearls and earrings to a local jewelers who carries pearls, go in at a not too buzy time, and say you inherited the items and would like their opinion if they are "real." They might be willing to measure them for you. It's not like a formal appraisal and they should be willing to take a few minutes with you if they have any sense of customer service at all! They can look for 14k or 18k on the earring back, which would indicate the pearls are most likely "real".

You might trying laying the pearls across a tape measure or ruler, and from that get an estimate of mm or fraction of an inch of the size of the pearl. My 5mm pearls = about 3/16 inch.

Yes, I would say that knot is where they joined the ends of the necklace. In the closeup photo, it does look like the silk has stretched in a few places, but if you are going to sell, let the buyer restring to suit herself.

Sorry, the photos are an improvement, but still not close enough to give a definitive answer.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

p.s. on my strand of 5mm pearls, 61 pearls , knotted between each =14 5/8inches.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Back