Restringing multi strand Keishi /Tahitian

Lol Katbran!

This discussion on using some sort of resin/glue to stiffen the thread point as a needle intrigues me.

In regards to waxes used in other countries, Ni'ihau and Hawaiian descendants who learned the craft use beeswax as their thread needle for Ni'ihau shell jewelry. The Ni'ihau shells, especially Kahelelanis, are extremely tiny, and the flexible needle is unable to go through the shell body as 1) the eye is too big 2) it'll break the shell.

I tried using beeswax in stringing pearls before, I had run out of needles, but it had only worked with certain drilled holes and certain sizes of pearls.

Using an adhesive will be a fun experiment I want to try in the near future!

Jaye- I hope you could post a neckshot of your beautiful collar when it's finished! :).

GLUE NEEDLES ARE NOT A MYTH, Y'ALL.

I've done "glue needles" before, but they're never as stiff as I want them to be. And they kind of soften up as you go so you have to keep redoing them. You can also use nail polish!

Here's how I do them - just before the end of your thread, paint on your glue or nail polish, pinch the thread and run your fingers down it (especially with nail polish - if you don't do this the polish will actually add width to the thread, you want it to be straight and slim), then let it dry. Once really dry and hard, cut the thread on the stiff part. You can cut it at a slight angle if you need a tip, but keep in mind that it'll fray faster if it's at an angle.

I use this method when I'm stringing beads with thicker thread (like 1-2mm cord) that can't really be used with a needle or doubled. It works fairly well, but with regular glue or nail polish the thread can still soften up after a while. If you're stringing a lot of beads with it you'll need to re-glue periodically. I haven't done it with pearls but I assume it would work equally well.

And I think if you had the time and wanted to do it, it would work even better if you used something like two-part epoxy to get a really nice hard "needle."

The nail polish idea seems doable! THanks for the tip, Battah!

And omgosh, I was laughing at your curse word, Katbran. Who'd have thought it would be censored. lol

The nail polish idea seems doable! THanks for the tip, Battah!

And omgosh, I was laughing at your curse word, Katbran. Who'd have thought it would be censored. lol

Ha! It was a famous brand name of a pill for adding stiffness to a limp....."thread"... Im thinking a spam filter of some sort picked it up and 'x'd it out.

Ha! It was a famous brand name of a pill for adding stiffness to a limp....."thread"... Im thinking a spam filter of some sort picked it up and 'x'd it out.

LOL it took me a minute to figure out what the word was! Then I giggled :)

Back