Quality and Nacre of Tahitian Pearl Lots

H

HailukuPearl

Hello,
I am looking for some information about the quality of Tahitian pearls available, and the depth of the nacre.
I have been dealing with a supplier for several years now that has always been quite honest I have felt, but I have never received perfect quality pearls from him. When I have drilled the pearls I have noticed that many times they break as well. He has always told me that because the pearls are connected to the oyster during the culturing process there will always be one side with flaws - without exception. But just recently I placed an order for 2 lots of Tahitians from an online company based out of Santa Monica California. The pearls were cheaper, and they had no flaws. When I drilled them they all held together perfectly as well.
My question is, are these pearls of a new, top-quality variety? Have I always been purchasing pearls that were not the 'best' as I was told? Are perfect Tahitians actually common?
Thanks!
By the way, this is my first time using this forum, what a great idea!

Re: Tahitian pearl quality

Re: Tahitian pearl quality

Hello Tomas!
I am quite certain you purchased those pearls from one of my online sites so I would like to answer your questions.
It sounds to me like you were consistently buying 'B' quality lots from your last supplier. Perfect Tahitian pearls are most certainly available, as you have seen. These are available in true 'A' lots. Many suppliers consider lots with single flaws to be 'A' because one side is always going to be set into the jewelry, whether it be drilled for a strand, or set into a ring or pair of earrings.
I feel, however, that the point of drilling should not be absolutely determined by a flaw. I like to choose the side of the pearl based on its orient, or any degree of variation I can find in the spherocity of the pearl.
These lots are typically very expensive! But they are available to some buyers at a decent price. The reason we offered them at such a low price was because we also took this farms entire lot of A/B, or single flaw 8-14's and drilled them into full hanks. We separated all of the perfect 'A's' into sized lots, and for that reason they were available so reasonably. We try to do this after each harvest, and are very loyal to this particular farm, so we are able to maintain an average discount rate of 35% below auction.

Now, as to why the pearls you have had in the past have not held together for drilling there can be several explanations.
First, there are pearl farmers who cut corners on the nucleation beads. Believe it or not I have heard of a Tahitian pearl farm using glass beads in an attempt to save money. It does not take a genius to surmise what happened upon drilling.
The nucleation beads are NOT expensive. But cheaper is not always better. Farmers know where and how to buy the best beads and their choices will always be apparent in their crop.
It is possible that the nacre is too thin on the beads as well. In the past few years the French Polynesian government has been cracking down on early-harvesters that were flooding the market with sub-par nacre pearls. Tahitian nacre is notoriously difficult to gauge because of the color of the pearls, but a trained eye can always catch it. Many of these pearls did not even boast the minimum depth of .8mm recommended for Tahitian pearls. These pearls were, and still are to a lesser degree, smuggled out of French Polynesia, and have hurt the Tahitian pearl market. I still see them today at pearl markets throughout China, typically set into low-end pendant and ring jewelry.

I hope to be of service again in the future, Tomas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Tahitian Pearl Quality

Re: Tahitian Pearl Quality

Thank you for such a detailed explanation! I am sure we will do business again in the future!
Tomas.

Back