PP's Freshadama vs. AA+ Akoya?

Aramel

Hi all! Let me start by saying that I recently bought one of PP's freshadama bracelets as a gift for a family member, and was very thrilled with it. I'm considering going back and getting something nice for myself. However, today I was walking past my local jewelry store, where I was very impressed with the intense luster of their akoyas.

The freshadama were far better than the freshwater strands the shops stocked, and the saleswoman was actually skeptical that they were freshwater at all. But it still packed a little less oomph than the very lustrous akoyas they had, which were almost metallic.

Now, I don't know what grade the store strand was. Probably not hanadama, considering it was a roughly 7mm strand that they were selling for around 2000. (This is a retail store.) My budget will permit for either freshadama or AA+ akoya (AAA would be more expensive than I'm comfortable with, and Hanadama out of the question).

So my question is, would I be able to get that striking luster and a distinct advantage over the freshadamas with an AA+ Akoya strand, or am I better off sticking with the freshwater?

I have never bowed to the akoya altar, but the Hanadama luster is intense like no other. Freshadamas are probably better than AA+ akoyas, but if you like metallic SHINY luster, go with the akoya, unless there are any white FW metallic strands to be had.

Caitlin, thank you for your prompt advice. If AA+ wouldn't cut it, how about AAAs? They'd be doable, if a bit more expensive than the AA+.

My advice is to get the best you can afford so you won't regret it later. Triple A Akoyas from PP will be worth it. But, if you are unsure, order the lesser pearls. PP can always do an exchange for you. Have fun! :cool:

Why don't you ask PP for a side by side photo of a Freshadama strand and a AA+ one so you can judge the luster of the two for yourself?

It is true that Akoyas have a more metallic shine than freshwaters. If that is the look you desire, then go with Akoyas. I like the soft glow of the Freshadamas, but it is a matter of taste.

I think you are unlikely to see a Hanadama strand in your local stores at all, and certainly not for $2000. PP has great prices, but in brick & mortar shops you won't get nearly as much for your money, and I'm sure I have yet to see a Hanadama strand in any shop in CT. For one thing, not many buyers are prepared to spend what a Hanadama strand would cost in B&M shops, and secondly, I think that it might be harder for the shops to sell the low quality strands that are so common if there were a top grade strand next to them to make them seem dull by comparison!

You need to consider what is important to you. AA+ freshwaters can have as much if not more lustre than AAA but me off round when rolled - this will not show in wearing unless the person looking is very very practiced indeed. Perfect round akoya are more likely because of that bead, of course.
But if perfect roundness isn't a problem you could go for, say, even a mirror metallic (which is metallic plus) and the price would reflect the not quite roundness.

Back