Photographing Pearls

Zoe Celeste

Hi Everybody!

I'm new to posting at Pearl-Guide.com, although my mother Caitlin (Pearl Maven) has been a member since 2004!

We (my mother, fiance, and myself) recently decided to revive Grandmother's Pearls, but it has not taken long to figure out how challenging it is to take good quality photographs of our pearl jewelry. We made a table top "studio" and are using three daylight LED lights. Our photos have gotten better (you can check out the difference on our Facebook User page: "Grandmother's Pearls," where we have been experimenting taking pictures), but there is still just so much to learn!

Does anyone out there have any advice on how to make our photographs more professional quality, or any recommendations on decent equipment we could purchase on a budget? Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!
Zoe Celeste

Thank you, Jeremy!!! Yes, I do know - your operation at Pearl Paradise is certainly one to be envied!!! :D
This is exactly what we need. What a fabulous tip!

One more question: Best app for pearl pictures? This may be a little low brow for some professionals out there, but is there a particular iPhone app that anyone knows about that is better than the camera's installed app? It seems that realistically we will be using our phones to take the pictures until we can get a professional camera, and it would be nice to get the most out of it. Thanks!!

I have a Foldio as well, great little box and folds up nice and small when not in use.

For apps the iphone program is really good. But there are some paid options that let you control the white balance, exposure, etc. . But I'm not sure they're really necessary.

That sounds perfect. I look forward to putting it to use. Thank you, gentlemen!

I only use a cheapo foldable light box which I bought from Amazon UK LOL.... Foldio looks much better quality wise

Awesome! We ordered one today from Amazon, and it will be here on Sunday. I can't wait to get started! :)

Between Amazon and Google my life is complete...any question can be answered; any product can be ordered. What did we do before these things existed?
JerseyPearl, we saved a lot of money! Because so much loot is available with a click, temptation is just around the corner.

Back