Pearls in My Work

D

DFrey

Here are some pictures of a series of pendants from my studio using silver and 24K gold incorporating exotic colors of freshwater pearls. In all but one of these pieces I have been selecting baroque pearls to complement rather than contrast with the color of the 24K gold.

These have been fun to do as they are very direct and hands on techniques that are used to produce this work. The gold is hand decorated and the texture on the silver is produced from the repeated heating of the piece.
Dfrey

Attachments

• pendant#2.JPG
    pendant#2.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pendant#4.JPG
    pendant#4.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 35
  • pendant#1.JPG
    pendant#1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 35
  • pendant#3.JPG
    pendant#3.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 35
Those are really nice. I love the unusual textures and the smooth peachy pink pearls together.

I love them too. Especially #4. May I ask how you secure the pearls? Glue? I always think of pearls as a cold-connection item. Thank you for sharing with us!

Hi Knotty,
I use a post and two part epoxy to secure the pearl onto the piece. Attaching pearls to a jewelry piece is one of the few times that glue is considered appropriate when making jewelry.
Dfrey

WOW! BIG LOVE!!!

Especially 1 & 3.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks for sharing. I love the design and understated elegance of the pieces. The colors and texture/surface of the pearl complement very well with the gold. I share Knotty Panda's liking of #4 (picture 2), they are all beautiful, really. Do you have a list of places that carry your work?

Regards,
pernula

Hi Pernula,
The galleries that handle my work are in western Canada. David Rice Studio in Winnipeg,MN. Canada House in Banff,AB and Lost Art Jewelry in Waterton,AB ( both of these are tourist resorts in the Canadian Rocky Mountains), Object Design Gallery in Vancouver, BC and two local galleries.

Dfrey

They are all very beautiful. I guess my pick would be pendant #1. What are the sizes of the pieces? Are they all about the same? Have you ever designed a necklace that had multiple pieces stationed around the chain? The pearls have great colors to them.

Hi Ingykiz,
All of the pendants are roughly the same size, 23-28mm ( approx. 1 inch) across. The pearls are 9-10mm except for # 4 which is 6.3mm.

I have done some necklaces using 2 smaller pendants and toggle clasp in silver and 24k gold, stationed in a string of Keishi pearls, so when worn all the pieces are visible. With these pieces I oxidized the silver black to contrast with the rich yellow of the 24k gold and the silver color of the Keishi pearls.
Dfrey

With the size of these pieces the weight will always bring them around to the front of a necklace. If made into a clasp I think that the piece should be designed so that it is meant to be worn at the front of a strand of pearls and is also detachable from the string of pearls it is part of . A little versatility, so the pendant/ clasp can be worn on a chain or with a strand of pearls. Maybe a strand of fancy colored freshwaters, something to go with the center pearl in the clasp/pendant.

Dfrey

Oxidizing: When you do that, is it as permanent as natural tarnish? I have a design in my head that calls for oxidizing chain maille. I don't work with rubberized pliers, and I'm concerned with marring. Any advice? Also, may I ask who supplies your pearls? Thanks!

Hi Knotty,
Oxidizing with liver of sulfur is as permanent as tarnish, its sort of tarnish in a hurry. Parts rubbing together will wear away the oxidized finish. Depending on your project you could assemble your chain maille,finish it the way you want it completely, and then oxidize. You don't own a pair of rubberized pliers, neither do I. Wrap the jaws of your pliers with some masking tape or something like that and they won't leave marks. Hope this helps.

I personally selected all my pearls while in China early in 2007.

DFrey

Since I'm coupling chain maille and pearls, I would prefer to liver it first. I'm well beyond the pliers death grip stage and generally don't mar new, fresh rings, but I was wondering if the oxidation needed to cure or if I could just go for it. Thanks for your response!

Once you have oxidized the silver pieces that you want they are ready to go. In my experience the patina does not cure or get harder/ better with time.

Dfrey

Back