Pearls from European Grandmother.

Kathy

Considering giving them to son's fiance for wedding gift. Wondered about cost for insurance. Ideas? pls see pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7689.jpg
    IMG_7689.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 26
Considering giving them to son's fiance for wedding gift. Wondered about cost for insurance. Ideas? pls see pic attached.

I think you will have tp provide a better quality image or two if anyone is going to be able to help you Kathy. Some close-up shots of the pearls as well as the whole necklace in focus would be best. Hope that helps get things moving for you. It is difficult to tell what you have at the moment.

New Picture(s)

New Picture(s)

I took a new picture. Let me know if it's ok?
Also another picture of a different pearl necklace which is also from European Grandmother.
I would like to know if these are real salt water natural pearls?
From my husbands grandmother 1900 or ?
no two pearls are alike!

Attachments

• pearl choker 2010.jpg
    pearl choker 2010.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Pearl Necklace.jpg
    Pearl Necklace.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 36
Hi Kathy,

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

As you have discovered, pearls are hard to photograph. The photos are not in focus, and for anyone to be able to give you an opinion you need to take a few good good close up shots (does your camera have a close up setting?). It would help to see the drill holes and the surface qualities of the pearls.

Try photographing on a white background (a paper towel is good) rather than a black background, also.

Are there knots between the pearls? They look like they aren't knotted. A close up of the clasps would be lovely, too.

The thing to remember about grandparents' pearls is that many of that generation bought imitation pearls. My husband's mother, who was born in 1914, had a strand that she always thought were genuine cultured pearls-- but they turned out to be imitation. They still have sentimental value of course, but no real commercial value.

More Pictures

More Pictures

Hello again,
I've tried a few close-up shots. The pearl choker has been re-threaded with fishing wire since the thread wore out. There are no knots.
No knots on the pearl necklace either.
Hope these shots are better.
Thanks, Kathy

Attachments

• Pearl Choker Clasp 1.jpg
    Pearl Choker Clasp 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Pearl Necklace Close 1.jpg
    Pearl Necklace Close 1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Pearl Choker 1.jpg
    Pearl Choker 1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Pearl Necklace Clasp.jpg
    Pearl Necklace Clasp.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 41
  • Pearl Choker 3.jpg
    Pearl Choker 3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Pearl Necklace .jpg
    Pearl Necklace .jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Pearl Choker Close 3.jpg
    Pearl Choker Close 3.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Pearl Choker Close 1.jpg
    Pearl Choker Close 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Pearl Choker Close 2.jpg
    Pearl Choker Close 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Pearl Choker2.jpg
    Pearl Choker2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Pearl Necklace Close 2.jpg
    Pearl Necklace Close 2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 37
The photos are much better, but luster is still hard to tell-- they do not appear very lustrous but that could be just the problem we all have with photographing pearls. The colors of the pearls are very uniform, but are throwing me off. What color are they in person? On my monitor one looks like lavender/gray and the other looks cream/yellowish.

I wouldn't think they're imitation-- I see some surface markings, one in the pearl next to the clasp in the first photo, and in the 3rd photo from the bottom. The pearls aren't all perfectly round but most look pretty round, which you would expect if there is a bead nucleus inside. I've seen strands of natural pearls in photos and they are usually more irregularly shaped than these.

Also, isn't it true that cultured pearl strands in the 1940s/50s or so tended to be graduated strands? I am certainly not any sort of expert on pearls, just a pearl lover, but I'm going to venture a guess that these are cultured salt-water strands.

Do you have a 10X loupe (magnifier)? If you don't, I suggest you visit a jeweler with your strands and ask to use their loupe to look at your pearls. If the surface has an orange-rind appearance, they are imitation. Real nacre has a smoother appearance (except for surface flaws.) If you can't tell, ask to see a strand of cultured pearls and compare the surface appearance of the pearls.

Look at many of the the drill holes with the loupe. Can you see any evidence that there is a bead inside, under the nacre? Any places near the holes where the nacre has worn away or peeled away? On an older strand that has been worn enough to have had to be restrung, I would think some of the drill holes would show some wear.

It's slow on the forum because of the holidays, but others who know more than me will be along to tell you what they think of the strands.

As far as a wedding gift, are you thinking of your future DIL wearing these at the wedding? If so, consider that the bride might wish for white pearls to match her dress if it's white; the cream (?) ones would go with a cream colored gown though.

Does she like pearls, and old fashioned jewelry in general? If she does, and these are pearls from her future husband's grandmother, she might love to own them, but not all ladies like to wear pearls, especially older, smaller, graduated, off-white strands. I would probe a bit, or ask your son to, before making these your official wedding gift to them. if she doesn't fancy them, it could be awkward. The fashion now is for larger pearls, I think, and good quality, round cultured freshwater pearls are so affordable that many brides might prefer to have a new strand for their wedding. Just my opinion....

Also, about insurance-- if these are older cultured strands, one's ordinary homeowner's insurance policy usually covers a certain amount of jewelry. I don't think I would buy extra insurance for them.

Back