Pearl necklace

Hi Jeremy,

You have to add to that that not everybody buys multi-million-dollar lots in Zhuji and that the pendant and chain are probably 14k (more like 12k figuring in underkarating). So it is Zhuji retail plus gold and thus several times your estimate. On a retial level in China this would be closer to US$ 250.00.

Zeide

Maybe in a retail store in China, but not wholesale in Zhuji (and everything is wholesale in Zhuji). Besides, my quotes were based on selection costs, not lot pricing. Anybody can walk in and buy a pearl or two for those prices. The chain is likely silver, there are very few finished pieces there in gold, and the other piece is set with silver. I would be willing to bet the buyer paid less than $50 for the pendant.

Thanks to Zeide and Jeremy. :)

I just checked the chain and it's 18K gold with "750" mark. The pendant has a mark "925", seems like that is silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Feng,

The 925 hallmark would strongly suggest that the pendant is a shell pearl.

Zeide

Zeide Erskine said:
Hi Feng,

The 925 hallmark would strongly suggest that the pendant is a shell pearl.

Zeide

Hi Zeide,

Why do you suspect that ? Sorry I am a bit lost here. :confused:

The 925 hallmark means that is sterling silver, right? So you think the chain is cheap so that pearl would probably be not real pearl??

Hi feng
I would agree with Zeide. Fine big pearls have been traditionally set in gold, less expensive ones in sterling silver.

How old is the pearl? Was the necklace made in the last year or so? If it is a few years old, I don't think they were growing such perfect pearls back then and they would have put it in white gold if they wanted a silver color.

Maybe you could take a picture with the macro on and enlarge it really big and show us at least three or four views so we can see all sides of it and really examine the skin.

It is a beautiful color, but I can't see any distinguishing features that would mark it as a real pearl. It is too round and the skin is too perfect, and it does not have the luster of a top of the line pearl. It doesn't even have a little dimple or a little uneveness in the skin in the view you have posted. I can't see into the skin at all. I can't see anything below the outside layer, it is too opaque.

If it is this perfect, you should consider it might be a good quality shell pearl. Maybe you could check out the drill hole if we can't see better in an enlarged view. That should be definitive.

Even if it is a shell pearl, that should not diminish your enjoyment of it. It looks great with the other pearls you posted. If it is not, it is an interesting pearl- top of the line in some ways, like roundness and skin, but less fine in other ways like luster and water.

Hi Feng,

Even a cultured pearl of such perfection would get a gold setting in retail world. I might set it in silver, but then, I have no respect for anything. The 18k (750) chain, however, is high-karat gold and valuable.

Zeide

Thank you for all your discussion.:)

I am trying to take a few more pictures but not sure if they can help.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 44
Zeide Erskine said:
Even a cultured pearl of such perfection would get a gold setting in retail world. I might set it in silver, but then, I have no respect for anything. The 18k (750) chain, however, is high-karat gold and valuable.

Zeide,
At least I'm not alone. I placed the cheapest toggle clasp (plated in stainless steel) in a tahitian strand and diamonds in sterling silver. On the other hand, I also had set the crappiest tourmaline in gold.

Feng,
I'm sure you are excited about your pearl. But no matter what it's value is, it's beautiful. The pearl achieved a perfect roundness and it's even blemish free! ;)

perlas said:
Zeide,
At least I'm not alone. I placed the cheapest toggle clasp (plated in stainless steel) in a tahitian strand and diamonds in sterling silver. On the other hand, I also had set the crappiest tourmaline in gold.

Feng,
I'm sure you are excited about your pearl. But no matter what it's value is, it's beautiful. The pearl achieved a perfect roundness and it's even blemish free! ;)

:D Yes, no matter the value is, I still enjoy it very much! Glad to see this discussion though.And thanks again to everyone.

Back