Pearl Identification and Value

jtwodrff

My wife found this pearl in her oyster the other day while eating. I would love to have some help in identifying what kind of pearl it might be, and what value if any it has. If it is not worth anything, at least it was a cool find!

The pearl is about the size of a pea and as you can see has a small tail on it (not sure of the terminology). I apologize about the picture quality, but I could not get an extremely clear shot. I will keep trying to get better pictures, if need be.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20120514_131433.jpg
    IMG_20120514_131433.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20120514_131419.jpg
    IMG_20120514_131419.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 25
If it is not worth anything, at least it was a cool find!

Pearls from edible oysters (Japanese or Virginia) are not highly nacreous and generally unmarketable. Even if it was, cooking can damage the pearl.

You are right about the cool find, though. Natural pearls of any type are a rare and exciting find. I have several unusual natural pearls and esteem them for their scientific value and wonder.

Let it dry for a few weeks, then apply a light coat of mineral oil. This will bring out the lustre a little bit and help prevent it from cracking or peeling. Wrap it in a soft cloth or keep it in a lined box.

Last edited:
Dave knows these kinds of pearls. Funny, this is the second one in a couple of weeks that look very similar. Usually, we see oyster pearls every 6months or year. In any case thank you for posting it here. It will remain as a record for past and future people that find these!

Back