Paspaley/stringing pearls

What I am hearing is that silk is not a necessary component of knotting the Paspaley way :D :D :D

You can't see the knots and they are put on a foundation of nonstetch thread.

They are invisible so why use silk at all? Paspaley pearls are heavy and ordinary knotting with silk would really stretch from the weight.

Maybe they use Spectra too :p

In fact the way I finish my strands is to double back through the pearls and knot around the foundation thread for one to three beads/pearls.

I also noticed that Kari of Kari pearls describes a similar method with a foundation thread and she knots all the down it, not just the first and last three like I do.

Caitlin Williams said:
What I am hearing is that silk is not a necessary component of knotting the Paspaley way

They are invisible so why use silk at all?

Please quote your source for what you are hearing.

No one uses silk because of how it looks. They use it because of the drape.

Okay I am outing myself - I havent been around for a while on the forum - but this thread reeled me in quicker then one of those long lines in an earlier photo.

I've mentioned before that I have been working as a threader for over 25 years - and at one stage was doing some work for Paspaley (not name dropping - just background).

Theres really no "Magical Trick" - but its a technique that those who know it hold very close to their heart.

There's no "Special" thread needed - it could be Silk - but I dont recommend it - or you can use any other beading thread of your choice. My personal favourite is an Australian made thread by Kaygee products based in Western Australia.

Theres a lot of mystery surrounding threading and knotting - I'm always amused at all the gizmos and special tools etc that appear and re-appear as must have's. Theres no need to overcomplicate the process - the only tool you need is a pair of tweezers - yes there is the hand only method - but for me tweezers give a cleaner result - also awls pins and nails arent needed if you use the tweezers appropriately.

So the mystery continues ..... :) I cant say more - as the guild of invisible knotters would string me up.

I'm in a spot where I really need to knot a lot of pearls, but it's threading back those first few pearls, so I can use the gimp, that's driving me nuts. I've worn out all my reamers and I'm about to use a drill to widen the holes on the first two or three pearls.

If it's a secret society, then I need admission so I can get the knowledge:)

Hi Blaire
Here is a thread with most of my suggestions for stringing with silk. I only rarely have to ream.....Below is essentially the same suggestion.
To test your thread size:
  • Run a threaded needle through a sample pearl or bead, and return the thread back through the same hole it came out of. If the needle won’t go through both ways, go to a smaller size thread.
  • String one pearl on the thread. Make a trial overhand knot, pull it tight. Try sliding the pearl over the knot. If it goes over the knot, you need a larger size thread.

Last edited:
Hi Bernadette
Long time, no see. I love it when you drop in and won't share ALL your secrets!
There's no "Special" thread needed - it could be Silk - but I dont recommend it -
TEE HEE, but doncha know around here one is asked for sources when making a remark like that........
Thanks for the buy info on the thread. Where do you work now, or it that classified too?:p

Last edited:
Here is a link for KayGee thread as recommended by Bernadette though it only comes in Black and white and I don't know if it comes in any other colors or not.

While I may poke fun at Bernadette for not being more forthcoming, I hang on every word she says. She is the real professional knotter around here- and I defer to whatever she says. After all I am not a professional knotter, I am just a lowly beader......

And this time I am being serious.........:)

No one uses silk because of how it looks. They use it because of the drape.
Hi knotty
Drape is great in clothing, but please explain why drape is needed in pearls? especially anything 22" inches and shorter. Ropes may drape better, but they are not as common as the shorter lengths. Besides, the knots stretch in ropes knotted with silk because they are heavy......

Last edited:
Do you know anyone who goes gaga over the look of a knot? LOL, of course you don't! People like the drape. You indicated you were "hearing" proprietary Paspaley information. I just thought you might like to share, but I guess I was wrong.

That "hearing" statement was a meta-statement a summing up,

Maybe what gave me the idea wasn't in this thread- but I got the idea somewhere. When I reread this thread I thought the pictures of the big spools of thread used don't look like silk and I jumped to a conclusion.....

I do believe Bernadette agreed with me. The thread she mentions is not silk........

Actually, she didn't say that at all. She said it could be silk. You quoted her. It could be silk, it could be something else. What's your point?

Dearest Knotty
My Point? I am still trying to answer your direct comments.

The second half of her sentence is she dosn't recommend using silk. The original knotting pro on this forum has spoken. She doesn't use silk, but she thinks you should use silk if you love it.

I love it that such a pro says that!!!!

So, hon, such a statement encourages me to continue experimenting with non-slk, because I don't like the elasticity of silk for beading & stringing. It stretches. That is what silk thread does, but its memory is short and it doesn't spring back after stretching.

I am sorry she didn't mention drape but I venture the thread she uses drapes sufficiently or she wouldn't use it.

So while we may not have uncovered Paspaley's secrets yet, we have discovered that Bernadette prefers KayGee Thread over silk. IMHO, Bernadette's opinion is the opinion of a professional full time pearl knotter and it is to be trusted.

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi Blaire
Here is a thread with most of my suggestions for stringing with silk. I only rarely have to ream.....Below is essentially the same suggestion.

Thanks Caitlin! I'll go back to the drawing board and see if I can make the thread fit the pearl, instead of the other way around.;)

Aww shucks Caitlin :)

The Kaygee thread does come in many colours beige brown green red - pretty much anything you would want to use.

My comment which mentioned silk - was as Caitlin interpreted - you can use silk - or rayon or nylon or cotton or whatever - its not the material thats key to hidden knots - its purely a technique.

The only reason I am "cagey" when it comes to certain techniques - is that I had to learn these the hard way, ie trial and error (sometimes lots of error) - even had close colleagues slam the door on sharing the inner secrets of knotting. (Yes I am slightly bitter and twisted:eek: but dont hold that against me) Maybe one day when I am not working commercially I'll spill my guts on techniques - or perhaps you can trick me into it on here :)

One supplier you may want to try for Kaygee thread and I have no relationship with them except as a customer - is benjaminscrafts (Australian based) . They do have a web site.

Regards
Bernadette

Back