Overlook tiny scratch on stud earring?

Monyettes

Community member
I have some lovely vintage akoya pearl studs, and noticed a very small scratch on the surface on one of them that doesn't show in pictures. I think it got there when I dropped them in the sink one day... It bugs me a bit but I might be a bit picky. Would you overlook a tiny scratch if the pearl overall looked amazing?

Most times with minor blemishing you'll never notice it while wearing the pearls, it just depends how much it bothers you knowing its there? Sometimes you can polish it out a bit, but with a vintage Akoya I wouldn't suggest going that route, the nacre is already going to be thin.

Try to put them on and look at yourself in the mirror at the distance other people would see you from. Can you still see the scratch? If no, then who cares if the pearls are lovely :)

- Karin

Karin's got it right- consider that they're studs and they'll be behind your eyes so you won't be able to see them much at all, really. And almost anybody else is not going to get close enough to pick up on the scratch. I'd continue to wear and enjoy :)

It's definitely not visible for anyone standing in front of me, I can only see it while holding the pearl up close to my eyes. I will continue wearing them, of course, as I feel naked without them. Thank you for your opinions!

The very day I received a pair of gorgeous pearl studs in the mail, I showed them to my husband in the kitchen, fumbling one and dropping it on my ceramic tile floor, where it promptly rolled around.

Vexation!

Sure enough, it got a small scratch in the front, but I can only see it with my loupe, so after venting about it for a few minutes, I decided not to care. I wear the earrings and love them.

Decide not to care! Wear them and don't give it another thought.

Great advice from pearl lovers who save their pickyness for the things that count. Enjoy your beautiful earrings. :)

Back