Opinion on Black Freshwater Upgrade?

MoonSprinkles

I was wondering about the general opinion on black dyed freshwater pearls. As those of you who have read my other thread know, I have an inexpensive strand I recently restrung, but I am considering in the future getting a nice strand of 8.5-9mm AAA black freshwaters from PP.
I absolutely adore Tahitians, and while a pendant is on my wish list, a full strand of good quality is many years away. I know that black freshwater in no way is like Tahitian, but to be honest I do love the overtones and colors in the black fwp. I have seem some Tahitian strands of lower quality that are closer to my price range, but I kind of think I would rather get a really nice strand of black FWP that a really low grade Tahitian. (I also think my wishlist grows by the day....:rolleyes:) What are your opinions on this? Thanks!

It isn't the oppinion you are asking for but here goes :)

If I had not bought all the cheaper pearls that were supposed to be replacements for what I really wanted, I would have gotten what I really wanted faster. Buying something other than what you really want because it's cheaper usually ends up with you just spending more money when you add it all up.

If I were you, I would enjoy what I already have, save and browse so you know what you really want when you see it at a good price. There are regular sales on the reputable online websites people buy from here and if you sign up for the newsletter, you will know. I have bought my pearls at Pearl Paradise on sale. There is also http://www.tahitianpearls.biz who always have good prices on Tahitians.

But I really do recommend for you to wait and save, maybe with an eye towards broadening the kind of pearls you like. Perfectly round Tahitians do cost a lot but maybe you will fall in love with the colors of the baroque Tahitians, like many have, if you start to browse at them and it will cost you a lot less for a strand.

- Karin

If you like the range of colours of dyed black freshwater and want a bit of size but can't afford much, how about considering dyed black ripples. They won't be a short term substitute for anything in the long term and have the size, colour and general wow you perhaps want.
Putting it another way. While freshwaters dyed to look like tahitians will always be a short term solution for you, ripples might stand on their own (and it is getting harder to find decent dyed blacks)

It isn't the oppinion you are asking for but here goes :)

If I had not bought all the cheaper pearls that were supposed to be replacements for what I really wanted, I would have gotten what I really wanted faster. Buying something other than what you really want because it's cheaper usually ends up with you just spending more money when you add it all up.

If I were you, I would enjoy what I already have, save and browse so you know what you really want when you see it at a good price. There are regular sales on the reputable online websites people buy from here and if you sign up for the newsletter, you will know. I have bought my pearls at Pearl Paradise and Pearls of Joy myself, on sale. There is also http://www.tahitianpearls.biz who always have good prices on Tahitians.

But I really do recommend for you to wait and save, maybe with an eye towards broadening the kind of pearls you like. Perfectly round Tahitians do cost a lot but maybe you will fall in love with the colors of the baroque Tahitians, like many have, if you start to browse at them and it will cost you a lot less for a strand.

- Karin
That is good advice to keep in mind. I already prefer the irregular shapes to the perfectly round, it seems that is the one area in which I have less expensive taste! I was not familiar with the tahitianpearls.biz, but they do seem like more attainable prices for me. I have a very different budget I think than many here, I save up awhile for each piece and for me $500 counts as very expensive! (And a lot of saving lol). I guess if I would spend $450 on dyed black freshwater I could just save awhile longer and get the Tahitians.
If you like the range of colours of dyed black freshwater and want a bit of size but can't afford much, how about considering dyed black ripples. They won't be a short term substitute for anything in the long term and have the size, colour and general wow you perhaps want.
Putting it another way. While freshwaters dyed to look like tahitians will always be a short term solution for you, ripples might stand on their own (and it is getting harder to find decent dyed blacks)
I am not familiar with the dyed black ripples, will have to look into it. I LOVE the look of ripple pearls and they are high on my wish list. Thank you for that tip!

I have to say, KarinK gives you excellent advice! I would wait to save for what you truly want.

So, honest question, if I already love the look of black freshwater, are Tahitians even more beautiful? I have never seen Tahitians in person. I do genuinely like the look of the freshwater but I assume they were originally designed to mimic Tahitians? I think I would rather save up longer and get fewer to get better though. Although I think first on my list is pink freshadamas, I've wanted those forever! Thank you all for the advice, I always get good advice here!

I confess, I also like the look of the dark dyed freshwater pearls, and I do own some. However, once I saw real Tahitian pearls, there was no comparison. They do not look anything alike, to my eyes. Size, shape, color, luster, all different. And Tahitian pearls run the gamut of dark green, blues, purples, to pastels of all colors. It took me a few tries (ordered and sent back) before I found T's I liked. And there are still more that I'm lusting after.

In addition to PP, I'd add Kojima Pearl and Kamoka Pearl to the list of online vendors to look at. Kamoka is probably out of your price range, but it will give you a good feel for top quality Tahitians. The photos on Kojima's website are also very accurate in color, and Kojima has some funkier, one of a kind necklaces that I love.

I also found, that I cannot judge T's when I open the box. They completely change when I put them on and see them next to my skin.

So, you can always order and send back.

What Karin, Jersey, and BWeaves said - all solid advice! Save up and buy the best that you can afford, because this exactly:
Buying something other than what you really want because it's cheaper usually ends up with you just spending more money when you add it all up.

I confess, I also like the look of the dark dyed freshwater pearls, and I do own some. However, once I saw real Tahitian pearls, there was no comparison. They do not look anything alike, to my eyes. Size, shape, color, luster, all different. And Tahitian pearls run the gamut of dark green, blues, purples, to pastels of all colors. It took me a few tries (ordered and sent back) before I found T's I liked. And there are still more that I'm lusting after.

In addition to PP, I'd add Kojima Pearl and Kamoka Pearl to the list of online vendors to look at. Kamoka is probably out of your price range, but it will give you a good feel for top quality Tahitians. The photos on Kojima's website are also very accurate in color, and Kojima has some funkier, one of a kind necklaces that I love.

I also found, that I cannot judge T's when I open the box. They completely change when I put them on and see them next to my skin.

So, you can always order and send back.

Kojima is on my list! I am keeping a list of reputable vendors I see on this forum so I know where to look, as I do not trust myself yet to be able to determine quality on my own, especially online. I was not sure if dyed black pearls were deemed "not worth it" by the forum, there does seem to be some mixed opinions as with anything. I have found I also like the look of gray Tahitians and especially the pistachio ones, though I am not certain if the pistachio ones are dyed? Would they say if they were?
I think I will probably save up and try to get a less expensive Tahitian strand from a recommended vendor. I don't mind some imperfections, I love things with character, and I'm assuming any from the recommended places would be good as long as I read descriptors carefully and knew what I was getting.

What Karin, Jersey, and BWeaves said - all solid advice! Save up and buy the best that you can afford, because this exactly:

This is very true.....patience is not my virtue but I keep reminding myself that saving up in the long run will be more worth it. It's hard at the beginning when I only have a couple of pieces because I am so eager to get more, lol, but I guess every collection has to start somewhere! I'm saving up for Black Friday weekend and hoping to do some shopping then!

I have a strand of circled dyed FWP that I wore with great pleasure for 9 or 10 years before I could afford Tahitians. They actually look quite a bit like Tahitians, but have more blue and purple tones than Tahitians do.

However I have to say they do not measure up to my Tahitians. It is worth saving up for the real deal.

I found that circled and baroque T's are way more interesting colorwise than perfectly round solid color Ts. And less expensive.

Don't be afraid to order and send back. This is how online vendors do business, and they want you to be happy, so don't be afraid to ask for photos. Some vendors like PP will send you lots of photos. Some vendors don't like to do photos.

I have a strand of circled dyed FWP that I wore with great pleasure for 9 or 10 years before I could afford Tahitians. They actually look quite a bit like Tahitians, but have more blue and purple tones than Tahitians do.

However I have to say they do not measure up to my Tahitians. It is worth saving up for the real deal.
I have not seen circled freshwater's dyed, they do sound pretty. I think I would probably manage to save up for a strand that is smaller perhaps than ideal (of actual Tahitians) but a good "first strand" for me. I have realistic expectations. Though, as my dad always says, "champagne tastes on a beer budget!" lol

I found that circled and baroque T's are way more interesting colorwise than perfectly round solid color Ts. And less expensive.

Don't be afraid to order and send back. This is how online vendors do business, and they want you to be happy, so don't be afraid to ask for photos. Some vendors like PP will send you lots of photos. Some vendors don't like to do photos.
That is good to know. I generally am afraid to send things back, though honestly at this stage there would probably have to be something very particular that I did not like before I would do so.
I know obviously that the quality would be far superior on the expensive strands, but does anyone here have a Tahitian strand that was less than $600 that they still really like and is nice quality? I have seen some online that I thought looked nice but I am not a very educated judge. (yet).

Moonsprinkles, The AAA dyed freshwater pearls at Pearl Paradise are custom dyed pearls which were hand selected to be colorful before the processes was done to them. I have seen them in person and they are quite nice. I like them better than the dyed akoya's which are coal black.

PP has sales on tahitian strands, I would call and ask what they have in the vault in your price range. You may be surprised at what you find.

These are the AAA dyed freshwaters from PP on the left, AA+ dyed akoya from PP in the center and commercial grade pearl party strand from Vantel on the right.

17902824_10211163264190805_1559384186_o.jpg

I think that if your first goal is a high quality freshwater (pink freshdama) then that's where your focus should be. Watch out for the sales (and don't be afraid to ask if a vendor will be having a sale!!) The buying and returning strategy does tend to get costly, so I always encourage photos under many different types of lighting.

lilliefuzzysocks, those are actually very beautiful, the AAA from PP! Thank you for the comparison photo. The color is lovely.

JerseyPearl, that is a good point, and yes I am planning to focus on that first. I am waiting to buy anything now until the sales closer to the holidays, so I will have more saved up, and also because I have wanted a pink fw necklace and earrings for a very long time, so I think it will be a good "staple" piece for me. (I prefer colored pearls to white though I suspect greater appreciation of the white will come in time...I have seen white ripple pearls I really liked) I also have an eye out for a couple of nice pendants (Tahitian and GSS, I think a pendant is a more affordable way for me to enjoy those pearls to start perhaps, PP has some nice ones). My biggest problem is impatience, lol, but this is a good exercise for me!

Moonsprinkles, before I had Tahitians, I ordered a strand of AAA dyed fw. They are very pretty, with a range of colors that work well with many of my clothes. I've only worn them once or twice. Once you've seen Tahitians, the difference between the two is glaring and there is no going back. I keep thinking that I'll use them as my "travel pearls", but never do. The advice to save until you can get a strand of Tahitians, if that is what you really want, is good, and the more affordable strands of smaller baroque or banded Tahitians are often the most colorful. Win/Win.

MoonSprinkles, these are my circled dyed FWP. I bought them loose at a gem show many years ago and strung them up myself. I enjoyed wearing them.

IMG 7587

I have been curious about the baroque/circled Tahitians sold by WenPearls on Etsy. They would be less than $600.

Another way to get a lower priced strand is to catch a good price on a pre-owned strand, if you can find one. But beware, there is a lot of fraud on eBay-- many FWP listed as Tahitians.

A pendant or bracelet would also give you a taste of Tahitians at a lower price.

MoonSprinkles, these are my circled dyed FWP. I bought them loose at a gem show many years ago and strung them up myself. I enjoyed wearing them.

View attachment 62072

I have been curious about the baroque/circled Tahitians sold by WenPearls on Etsy. They would be less than $600.

Another way to get a lower priced strand is to catch a good price on a pre-owned strand, if you can find one. But beware, there is a lot of fraud on eBay-- many FWP listed as Tahitians.

A pendant or bracelet would also give you a taste of Tahitians at a lower price.
Those are very pretty! Thank you for sharing the picture! TahitianPearls.biz has some nice looking ones for less than 600. I'd honestly be afraid of ebay, only for me, because I am relatively new to the pearl world. I do have plans to get a pendant from PP....they have some very pretty ones, ditto with GSS. I'm also not afraid of loose pearls now, thanks to your tutorial! :)

Moonsprinkles, before I had Tahitians, I ordered a strand of AAA dyed fw. They are very pretty, with a range of colors that work well with many of my clothes. I've only worn them once or twice. Once you've seen Tahitians, the difference between the two is glaring and there is no going back. I keep thinking that I'll use them as my "travel pearls", but never do. The advice to save until you can get a strand of Tahitians, if that is what you really want, is good, and the more affordable strands of smaller baroque or banded Tahitians are often the most colorful. Win/Win.

Thank you for the advice, I think I am leaning towards waiting for Tahitians vs black FWP though I still think my pink freshadama will be first.

Back