Old pearl value

C

Charles

Hello,

I have an old strand of pearls that was purchased in Japan in the late 1950's from the Nichibo Pearl Company in Tokyo. My jeweler says that they are genuine pearls as some in the necklace are 'natural' pearls.
How can I find out what the value of this necklace is? I cannot find anything about this pearl company online.

Re: The value of older pearls

Re: The value of older pearls

Hello,

The strand's actual value would be determined by the size, quality, and how well the pearls have been cared for the last 40 years.
Nichibo pearl company is a small pearl retailer that has been in Japan for more than half a century. They are now based in Kobe, and run by a Mr. Takeuchi. Here is their actual address for more info:
4-20-3-502 Ninomiya-cho,Chuo-ku,Kobe 651-0093,Japan.

Unfortunately the jeweler you spoke to gave you a bit of misinformation. Although the pearls are of course genuine, none of the pearls would be natural. Nichibo has never been in the natural pearl market, only cultured. In fact no Japanese companies have dealt in natural pearls since 1905. The pearls you have are indeed cultured.
If the pearls were natural they would have a very high value, but as they are cultured the value will completely be dependent upon how well they have been maintained. Typically cultured pearls this old will have more of an intrinsic value than monetary. This is because they are not old enough to be antiques, yet too old to be sold.

I hope I have been able to answer your questions.

Nichibo Pearl

Nichibo Pearl

Hi,

I am referring to blogs dated 2004. I am not sure if any of you are still reading the blog but I would like to give you an update on Nichibo Pearl company. Nichibo Pearl store still exists inside the Palace Hotel in Tokyo. It is owned by the brother of Takeuchi who owns Nichibo Pearl in Kobe. The store is operated by the eldest Son, Ken Takeuchi, now. I am not sure of the family relations but I am certain that you will receive a good care at Tokyo store.

The address is 1-1, Marunouchi 1-chome, Tokyo, Phone: 03-3211-6968.

Minnie

Back