Nucleus beads rolling inside the pearls?!!!

Pearlescence Thank you so much for the advice. Thankfully the pearls are already half-drilled so a beginner like me don't have to struggle so much ��

I never even knew that nuclei could be loose and roll around inside pearls until I restrung my BBAs.

I also find those particular akoyas to feel "light." I actually wondered if the nuclei were hollow plastic beads because even when I found a hole, it seemed like there wasn't a tunnel through the bead but a big open space, which made it hard to find the hole on the other side, even with a firm needle. On the plus side, they're not heavy to wear. On the minus side, they're almost too light feeling. But since the nuclei are loose I can tell they have VERY thick nacre, so that's good.

BWeaves that's a great way to think of this! I was really concerned about the weight, since it feels like hollow bead of plastic/cheap metal. But as you said, these pearls have thick nacre, so I don't have to worry about them wearing off in the future.

Purr, JP, I was thinking the same thing too!! And I have also encountered an occasional loose nuclei! ....grrr! I can see why Jeremy collects them in a box. nnguy20, you have pretty pearls. Maybe ask the vendor to replace or just enjoy them in a cage pendent.

Purr, JP, I was thinking the same thing too!! And I have also encountered an occasional loose nuclei! ....grrr! I can see why Jeremy collects them in a box. nnguy20, you have pretty pearls. Maybe ask the vendor to replace or just enjoy them in a cage pendent.
I think I will try my luck in making them into earrings. Can be an interesting (might be annoying?) experience :D

Back