now here's some "pearls" everyone can enjoy!

Hi Caitlin,

As a regular fire-eater myself, may I recommend mole puebla or other chile and chocolate combining concoctions that were very popular among the ancient Meso-American cultures (of course that does not include mole puebla which was created much later).

Zeide

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi Zeide

You may indeed recommend such concoctions. I like to make them at home- I have my own metates and grinding bowls. I eat Mexican practically every day and I can make all the classics from tortillas to menudo to mole'! Mexican cuisine is among the most varied in the world. I am part of an extended local Irish/Mexican family with 7 generations in Tucson (including our grandkids)- long before it became part of the US, and I learned from the best!

QUOTE]

I'm coming to your house for dinner! (please??)

getting back to the original subject...

Zeide, is the taste of white chocolate you object to, its name, or merely its existence?

Hi Mike,

I guess I object most to its name. The rest is subject to taste. Let me quote my favorite authority on the subject, Sandra Boynton, as written, illustrated, and overresearched in her famous work Chocolate, The Consuming Passion:

White Chocolate

There is some disagreement over whether white chocolate is "real" chocolate. Its ingredients - cocoa butter, sugar, milk solids, and vanilla - are largely the same as those of milk chocolate, but without the chocolate liqour. Anyone who would claim that the absence of liquor would disqualify white chocolate as chocolate is quibbling; the same purist would probably argue that fructose and water is not "real" orange juice.

((picture))
((caption)) White chocolate has great appeal for those who find that color and flavor interfere with the experience of texture.

Buying white chocolate is somewhat risky. Most chocolate has to conform to ingredient guidelines set by the Food and Drug Administration; white chocolate does not. And since it is most often sold not in prepackaged bars but in chunks (called "break-up"), there is frequently no ingredient label on it. You could, therefore, unwittingly purchase as "white chocolate" a candy made of sugar, milk, vanilla, and congealed vegetable fat.

However, the very best white chocolate is easy to identify. It has an ivory color like this:

:)

It smells like this:

(sratch and smell Smilie on the screen)

And it tastes like this:

(lick Smilie on screen)

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we can agree to disagree about white chocolate. we're all adults here, after all.

I just received my package from chocosphere, so we'll see if you get a convert to your orthodox chocolatanity, or if I remain an unabashed heretic.

Of course, since most people don't seem to mind white chocolate and have probably never heard of Domori, maybe I'm the orthodox chocolatarian and you're the heretic. Maybe it's time for the Chocolate Reformation...

I can not stand white chocolate. Tastes funny to me... now regular is Good but I love Most Dark chocolates, However I am ganme totrying a new brand of any of these for "research sake" LOL......

Happy Friday ALl!

Cheers
Ash

I like dark chocolate too. I don't much care for milk chocolate.

Well, I like milk chocolate and loathe mole. So, to each his/her own.:)

I didn't like white chocolate that much until I tried a Toberone bar of white chocolate.

Having tried a few of the dark chocolates, I must say that they're better than I expected. The carupano seemed kind of bitter at first, but then I tried letting it melt in my mouth instead of chewing it, and this seemed to make a difference. They don't really seem like dessert foods, though. Of course, one does not really expect sweetness from a dark chocolate. They are without a doubt fascinating taste experiences. They present an interesting variety of flavors and textures. If you like dark chocolate, they're certainly worth trying. Provided you're not on a diet, that is. I'm not sure if I read the label correctly, but it sure looks like 1 bar of the carupano has 416 calories and 30.75 g of fat. Yikes. (insert obese smilie here)

But do I like the dark chocolates? Well... No. I've never been a dark chocolate person, and having tried what are presumably some of the best commercially available dark chocolates, I'm still not, so I don't think there's much hope for me. Oh well, guess I'll just have to move on to Hachez milk chocolate.

Back