Newby needs advice

miked

Hello Everyone,
I appreciate being able to benefit from all the wonderful experience you have here in the Forum. I have learned a lot so far.

I am in the process of buying a very special gift for a special person on a special birthday! A strand of white pearls have been requested I want to get the best i possible can. I have done a lot of research and I would like to know your opinions about really good freshwater pearls (Freshamada, etc.) vs Akoyas. I want a classic really white, 18" strand in the 8mm range. I have looked at the "Sea Magic by Mikimoto" line at Jared's, but I am a little leary about getting the best value at a retail shop.

Any opinions, given my unrealistic expectations of perfection:), on which direction I should go? Really good "fresh" or Akoyas. The Hamadama in the size I want will be over my budget.

Many thanks and look forward to your replies.

A freshadama is an excellent choice, because it is a beautiful pearl for less ($720)than the equivalent hanadamas cost, which would be between 2 and 3k. LINK for freshadamas

The new line of natural colored akoyas is really beautiful. The natural whites are stunning as are the other natural colors. A necklace is around $2k in white for 8.0+, less in other natural colors blue or gold.

The freshadama is a great deal, in my opinion.

Last edited:
And here is another reference in terms of luster and color - a LINK to my post about the City Strand I purchased from PP. I describe the things in the room where I took the photo which are reflected in the way the pearls photograph - the strand really is silvery white in appearance but definitely picks up colors from the surrounding environment, which is a good thing. :)

I appreciate the replies I have gotten so far. The photos really help. It seems that the Freshadamas are really quite consistent in roundness and quality. I think this is still going to be a tough decision, but they should all be so tough! I'll finish up my posting after the big day and I will put up a photo then, too. Thanks all!

Back