Need help with Mikimoto pearl necklace

T

tjf001

Hello all
I have a Mikimoto cultured pearl necklace. It is 17 inches long without the clasp. The clasp is silver with the Mikimoto logo on it. The necklace has 98 graduated pearls from 3mm to 7mm in size. The genuine Mikimoto certificate that comes with the necklace does not specify the grade. The pearls are a white with a pink tint. They are about 35 years old in good condition and come with the original green Mikimoto box. Does anyone have a thought on what grade they might be and their value?

regards

TJF

picture

picture

it would help if you could post a picture.

Sterling Mikimoto graduation

Sterling Mikimoto graduation

Hi,

Mikimoto's bread and butter for most of its history were the 3.5 momme graduations (3-7mm rounds, 16 inches mostly on 10k gold clasps) and 3.75 momme graduations (3-7mm semi-baroques mostly on sterling clasps) the semi-baroques on sterling were the pearls of choice for graduation presents in upper middle class families. They retailed for US$ 49.99 until about 1950 when Tiffany first accepted cultured pearls in its merchandise range. Thereafter prices went up and the "clasp code," i.e. bracketing pearl values by clasp values became established. While your pearls were probably US$49.99 when first purchased, they are now worth in the US$1,500.00 range if they were well maintained and both clasp and box are still original. If not, they may not fetch Mikimoto collectors' value but are still in the US$ 1000+ bracket if the pearls are still fine. Yellowing greatly detracts from value while drop shapes strangely enough make them more valuable because they indicate better nacre thickness.

Zeide

Thank you for your detail reply

Thank you for your detail reply

Zeide
Thank you for your detailed reply. I purchased the necklace new in 1970 in Australia for the sum of $170. They are in the original box with certificate of authenticity. Unfortunately the certificate does not mention the grade of pearl used. The clasp is the original Mikimoto one with a single pearl. It has the mark "SIL" and "M" on the back. I remember being told the pearls for A1 grade when I purchased them but other than that I have no other information about their quality. My mother seldon wore them in fact I can only recall her wearing then twice. I remember discussing this with her in her later years and her telling me she didn't wear them because she didn't like fake pearls. When I told her that they were the real thing she replied that everybody would think they were fake. I guess sometimes you just can't win. I am trying at the moment to sell the necklace on Ebay but I may consider withdrawing them. I have included some photos for yor info. I would appreciate any further info you can give me.
regards
Charles

Admin Note: The picture was removed because it did not meet our new size guidelines of no images wider then 620 pixels. Thank you for your understanding as we work through bugs with the new format of the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikimoto graduation

Mikimoto graduation

Hi Charles,

AUD170 in the seventies was probably just a touch above US$50 but not much. You are likely to get the best price on eBay for them. Given the condition they appear to be in and the completeness of the set (pearls, clasp, and box) they are definitely going to close over US$1000.00 and that's pretty good. Anything above that and you lucked out. You cannot do better on any other venue. Sotheby's or Christie's would probably dicourage you from listing and only bring half as much or less if they were to auction them and local auctions in Australia are not going to get you much on Japanese pearls.

Zeide

Thank you

Thank you

One again thank you for your assistance
Charles

Back