Need help with identifying a reasonable price for my Pearls....

ac1983

I inherited a 10k JCM Pearl necklace, brace and earring set from my mother she was given them as an anniversary gift from my step father before she passed away about 7 years ago, he decided that he could no longer keep them and handed them down to me and now I have come into financial hardship don't want to sell them but not sure if I have the choice... Is their anyway to identify or give me an estimation of what I should ask for them? They have never been worn and barely handled only maybe three times by me plus I did do the tooth test and they feel like sandpaper on my teeth please any help would be appreciated... The clasp reads "10k jcm"....

Attachments

• Sea of Cortez pearl necklace with deep pink sapphires
    Sea of Cortez pearl necklace with deep pink sapphires
    17.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Tahitian pearls semi baroque on infinity  hammered connectors
    Tahitian pearls semi baroque on infinity hammered connectors
    14.8 KB · Views: 58
  • South sea baroque  and south sea keshis from Aru Islands, Maluku. With labradorite and moonstones
    South sea baroque and south sea keshis from Aru Islands, Maluku. With labradorite and moonstones
    14.8 KB · Views: 64
They are very pretty, but probably won't bring in a lot of money. There is an area on eBay where you can check completed sales to get an idea of what a freshwater pearl set would earn. Good Luck! :)

In a way you are in luck. They would not being in very much - certainly not compared to staying with you, be cherished and passed on some day in memory of your mother. Keep them and love them.

- Karin

I agree with the above two posters-- you have a freshwater set of relatively low resale value.

Looking at eBay for comparison, you would probably get a selling price of between $30 and $60, from which you would have to pay seller's fees, PayPal fees etc. If you consign them you can expect 40-50% of the selling price.

I could understand selling them if you have no desire to wear them, but given their sentimental value, I would hold onto them. If the current length doesn't suit you, you could restring them (yourself) as one long strand. The thread is cheap and we have tutorials on how to do it.... Think about it!

Thank you all for your responses I have decided that I am going to keep them after some thought because they make me feel like I still have a connection with my mother and one day I want my future children to have them and maybe we can start a tradition of passing them down from generation to the next generation...

image.jpg

Can someone help me identify this necklace?

These are real pearls and my grandmother gave them to my daughter for graduation but I don’t want to turn her loose with a necklace if it’s overly valuable.

My grandmother doesn’t see a problem handing over extremely valuable jewelry to the kids as a gift so I’m just wanting to make sure before she takes possession of the necklace

TIA

Those are graduated cultured akoya pearls. Check the clasp for metal content but I assume it's white gold rather than silver, as it doesn't appear tarnished.

These graduated strands were popular around WWII/Korean War; many US personnel stationed in Asia bought them to bring back for their sweethearts. These were affordable because pearls are valued by weight and these strands have relatively few larger pearls. Graduated strands became less popular in the 1960s. I expect that is not the box they came in originally.

I think it's a lovely graduation gift for high school or college, and not overly valuable. I'd even give that to a high school student.

My only concern is that they look like they should be restrung before wearing. The strand seems to be only knotted on the end few pearls (common for this style necklace), and the knots are dirty, which weakens the silk. If the silk broke the necklace could be lost. It would not cost a lot to have it professionally restrung in the same style (only the end pearls knotted) but make sure it fits your daughter's neck first. I've seen some of these older strands that were made for a very small neck!

If the cost of restringing is a problem, know that many of us restring our own pearls. It saves money, and it's not hard to do-- especially as you'd only have to do a few simple overhand knots. See our tutorial/videos on the Lowly Beaders Club.

Last edited:
Back