Need help in identifying pearls

perlukall

Hey everyone, I inherited this necklace recently. I do not know the origin or value of it and was hoping you could help!

I'm pretty sure the pearls are real, purchased around 1950 - 1970. With some of the research I've been doing I'm fairly sure these are Akoya pearls, the clasp has no trademark but is marked with the JKa 925 on the back.

IMG_2148.jpgIMG_2149.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2153.jpgunnamed (1).jpg

It is a graduated strand of semi-baroque akoyas of no particular brand. In that last photo, about halfway down on the right, I see a pearl that appears to have lost some of its nacre (chipped away) near the drill hole, exposing the bead nucleus. There is some dirt there where the edge of the nacre is. You'll want to clean that carefully before restringing.

They really ought to be restrung if you wish to wear them. Silk grows weak over time with exposure to skin oils, pollution, cosmetics etc. and if it breaks, the necklace can be lost. Many of us restring our own pearls-- it's not hard and costs little to do so. There are tutorials and videos on the Lowly Beaders Club here on Pearl-Guide if you'd like to learn.

As to value, the greatest value here is its family or sentimental value; there is no need to insure the strand. Wear and enjoy it!

It is a graduated strand of semi-baroque akoyas of no particular brand. In that last photo, about halfway down on the right, I see a pearl that appears to have lost some of its nacre (chipped away) near the drill hole, exposing the bead nucleus. There is some dirt there where the edge of the nacre is. You'll want to clean that carefully before restringing.

They really ought to be restrung if you wish to wear them. Silk grows weak over time with exposure to skin oils, pollution, cosmetics etc. and if it breaks, the necklace can be lost. Many of us restring our own pearls-- it's not hard and costs little to do so. There are tutorials and videos on the Lowly Beaders Club here on Pearl-Guide if you'd like to learn.

As to value, the greatest value here is its family or sentimental value; there is no need to insure the strand. Wear and enjoy it!

Are you sure they are semi-baroque? Comparing them to the ones I’ve seen on here it feels like they are more off rounded?

76D0C553-37A1-44B4-8652-A8F50AE00333.jpg

Back