"Natural" pearls?

Caitlin

Here is one that is claimed to be natural pearls-What do you think? Or is the blllurb saying something else?
14k White Gold and an antique clasp with a Natural 4.5mm Pearl, 22" inches in length...and stunning. Awesome antique find. One of a kind and circa 1940s. 22 inches long. Pearls are 6.5mm each. RARE!!!

Attachments

• Ebay naturals.jpg
    Ebay naturals.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The text seems to say only the 4.5 pearl on the clasp is natural......
That clasp is very common on pieces people ask about here. I have one myself and it is not a natural pearl on there.

This is a tricky ad.

Ha! got that now. I was revising my post while you were writing, so it disappeared.

May be... can't tell. The whole strand has an eerie plastic look. And I would have expected a different type of wok on an older clasp that could have carried a little natural pearl after all. Could be wrong.

Here's one I found but the owners refused to refund my money if, after the pearls were x-rayed, it was discovered they weren't natural. The necklace was part of a list of estate items which was several pages long and on a GIA graduate jeweler's letterhead.

Attachments

• 3710_3.jpg
    3710_3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 40
  • 3770_12.jpg
    3770_12.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 40
knotty panda said:
Here's one I found but the owners refused to refund my money if, after the pearls were x-rayed, it was discovered they weren't natural.

These look right. But the description makes me think that the cost might warrant some guarantee on the seller's part. With good pictures at hand, things may become clearer already. Lovely clasp, too...

I am not sure if their GIA degree is all it takes to be certain of ID. GIA has a bunch of diplomas and they are used in various ways, unfortunately :eek: Of course, I have n clue who the seller is. perhaps their reputation is indeed more then enough. What do I know!

I wouldn't put my faith in an Xray with the dentist. A lab or appraiser's work on the pearl (i.e. neutral third party ID) sounds like a reasonable proposition though. Wouldn't the seller agree to organize such intermediation? Even if you paid for the testing? That's usually accepted...

[PS. sure you knw that for all the bold language I am no expert. Just saying what I'd know for myself.]

You're right on all counts. The bottom line is, they are unwilling to have the pearls properly assessed; i.e., GIA or AGTA in New York and they want a rather handsome sum for them. I have no idea how to value the clasp to know what I could sell it for and keep the pearls. If I change my mind, I know where they are. I'm still negotiating. And they are refusing to budge. Perhaps its time for me to walk.

knotty panda said:
The bottom line is, they are unwilling to have the pearls properly assessed; i.e., GIA or AGTA in New York and they want a rather handsome sum for them. I have no idea how to value the clasp to know what I could sell it for and keep the pearls.

Unless you are selling jewelry already, I wouldn't count on getting money back on the clasp...

Anyway. Some shops would simply not offer any special treatment to online buyers and do not have tolerance for lab reports. Locally, it is easier to tell apart who is being reasonable in doing this (although such attitude is never pleasant, methinks) and who not.

Sorry to hear... See PM. ;)

There's plenty of auction houses around here and estate jewelers who only look at clasps. I have lots of SSP I could string to it.

Interesting strand...

If I had to bet for my own sake, I... just wouldn't know what they for sure are and consider the 'bargain' status of the piece.

The clap appears to have been restored - at least. Obviously the pearls are not perfect - even the seller doesn't pretend as much. But naturals are excused quite a bit more, as obviously you know.

You know what? I hope someone familiar with the early cultured pearls - the fist Akoya - would come on this thread and say: no, these look nothing like the early cultured baroque.

I hope this post does not offend anyone. I do not intend to disparage :eek: the item: just to have an open discussion about what can be known from a picture, what more experiences pearl fans look for :cool: I do not know all that much, and to me some of the pearls seem to have typical natural shapes and blemishes, other appear as slightly baroque cultured.

re raj's link:
Since so few people know about pearls, I always take claims of "natural" with a bit of skepticism. If they are real, they should not be bargains. it is worth getting them verified by a lab.

That having been said, the pearls look rather like a strand of baroque akoyas from the 30's-40's of my Mother-in-laws. What do you think?

On this necklace, there is a bit of wear around the holes where you can see the bead. I take a picture when it is apart too. The pearl on the clasp is completely peeled off.

PS. I did not restring these. That is not my handiwork. Sorry for the photo. I'll take another after restringing them.

Attachments

• Taiowa 001.jpg
    Taiowa 001.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back