natural colors

D

DFrey

I have a question regarding the colors of freshwater pearls. The lot of loose baroques that I have has a predominate peachy tone and I presume is untreated. The lot of loose Keishi that I have has a predominate silver/ grey tone to it and again I am presuming that the lot is untreated. The keishi strings that I have also have a silver/ grey color to them. Both lots contain a complete range of colors that I am familar with as natural colors for freshwater, mauves, oranges, whites, pinky whites etc.

Are these peachy tones in the baroque and the silver grey for keishi the colors that whites are before bleaching? What causes the baroques to have a different overall tone than the keishi ?

Doug

Hi Doug,

The lighter natural colors are indeed typically bleached to a more marketable white. The other colors can come from both other species of mussels (there are about 10 different species being used in culturing pearls in China) and from close to the hinge and within the soft body where many of the truely fancy colors occur. Since the pearls that grow near the hinge are almost never even near round, you see most of the wild and whacky colors in baroques and keshis.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zeide,
There are small number of intense orange/ peach and some intense mauves that have almost what I would call a "metallic" look in my baroques and keishi. The orange ones are very nice and my favorite. I don't remember seeing these intense colors from my biwa pearl buying days. Is this metallic look overtone, orient or what is it called? and how do the cultures acheive this.

Doug

When you are referring to metallic look, I believe you are referring to orient. The more vibrant colored pearls would not be bleached.

Orient is the reflective quality of the nacre and occurs due to the nacre quality and the way the nacre lines up.

DFrey said:
Hi Zeide,
There are small number of intense orange/ peach and some intense mauves that have almost what I would call a "metallic" look in my baroque and keishi. ..

Doug

Can we see? Orage keshi pearls sounds intriguing, at the very least! :)

Hi Valeria,
I have attached a jpg showing some orange colored keishi . These pearls have great lustre and intense color. Shown are some single pearls and a matched pair. All are at least 7mm in one direction, ie 7mm x 12mm etc. I am currently using this color in combination with a white, creme or silver colored Keishi in pendants.

Doug

Attachments

• keishi.JPG
    keishi.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
These are not keshis and baroques but the colors are really vibrant.

Attachments

• fancypearls.jpg
    fancypearls.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 38
Hi Perlas,
Are those all natural colors? Any treatment? They are beautiful. What size are they? Thanks for such a good photo! Doug, I love your keishi also!!!
Pattye

Hi Pattye,

Yes, all are natural colors at the 9-10mm range and are not treated. They are more of potatoes than rounds though. The 6 white pearls at the end of the string are sunbleached.

I cherry-picked the pearls from 3 multi-colored strands.

perlas said:
These are not keshis and baroques but the colors are really vibrant.

MEGA DROOL over those colors!!!!!!! WOW.. I am Speechless, Well relatively... :) The colors are amazing!

Cheers
Happy Friday All

Ash

Wow, I'd love to have a ton-sur-ton necklace of lavender to purple. Orange and purple makes a shocking combo too; perhaps instead of equal amounts of each color, just a one accent pearl every 5 inches or so.

ohhh I love the purples from light to dark and the Orages/Peaches. same things. I woudl also like to see a strand of purple with a gold tone every few purples.... I can not get that strand out of my head!!! they are just so Lucious!!!!! I mean... WOW!!!!! Even hubby did a TRIPPLE take!!!!!!!! When I asked him to look at them! Now that says a lot!

Man I really need to start investing in some natural pearls in every color I can get my hands on!

Ash

Hi Ash,

A uniform orange or purple strand of natural color is common for pearls 7mm down. As the sizes go up, it's harder to come by because the matching is difficult so they are scattered about in multi-colored strands.

Thanks for the "WOW". Living in a pearl country, pearls even on the 10mm range don't catch much attention around here. We're just used to seeing a lot of pearls.

So if people here want the "bling" in pearls, size matters. I've seen people wear 20mm south sea round (not button!) studs. Ouch! :eek:

The most I can wear are 13mm round studs and my ears hurt by the end of the day.:eek:

perlas said:
... pearls even on the 10mm range don't catch much attention around here. We're just used to seeing a lot of pearls.

Whatever size they be, the purple rounds in that necklace are just crazy. The picture makes them look like crayons on this side of the screen.

If color matching is a long shot, is a set with some color gradient from intense to pastel to white achievable? I have never seen nice freshwater pearls strung that way - the idea comes from a designerish strand of black pearls graduating in both color and size from dark & large to small & silver. Perhaps not of great value, but definitely looking good.

If the color and the size are graduated, it's definitely achievable.

I actually like the purplish/pinkish silver color better than the purples (located at the center of the curled strand). They're more catchy. The photo cannot capture the color but they actually look like they swallowed a rainbow. However, only one or two of these rainbow pearls are included in a strand so it will take a lot of strands for me to assemble a decent matching. :rolleyes:

I think this picture of untreated, natural-color freshwater pearls best explains why I like the rainbow pearls better. The purples are amazing but the rainbow pearls are mesmerizing.

This is the ORIENT that is always discussed but hardly seen. It's difficult to take pictures of orient. Notice that the lighting is even poor.

I hope you enjoy.:)

Attachments

• orient.jpg
    orient.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Right! Goodness... Thanks for showing off these :)

So, to get back to the purple vs. rainbow comparison: is there a tradeoff between color and orient for these pearls (i.e. stronger color swamps the rainbow glow)?

To answer your question about the trade-off between orient and color, typically one doesn't effect the other. Darker-colored pearls, as well as light pearls, can both have orient.

Hi Valeria,

The dark colored pearls may have orient. However, on medium colored pearls like a light mauve or pink pearls, the rainbow colors are showcased.

High orient on white/light body color make the pearls look opalescence, almost liquid. The orient doesn't look metallic but rather glows from within the pearl. Very nice but hard to come by because even a sun bleach treatment makes the pearls lose their translucency.

High orient on medium body color make the pearls look like a rainbow. The orient outshines the body color.

High orient on purple/orange/dark body color make the pearls look like an aurora borealis but I've most often seen this on brownish purple pearls rather than the crayon purple color. The purple and orange colors are extremely nice with a silver or rose overtone though. I guess the body color itself is a treat and can do without orient.

It's just preference but strong orient on all pearls, whatever body color, is really catchy.

Hi Sam,

You may add to your summation that the quality of ambient light also showcases different types of orient. High-grade, untreated cultured pearls show their orient best in candle light while vapor deposition treated pearls that show distinctly mottled overtones in strong incandescent light (like the halogen spot lights in jewelry stores) simply look flat or metallic in candle light. If your pearls still look colorful and glowly in low light conditions, you have a high-grade cultured pearl, if they look like ball bearings or worse in candle light, you have mikimoused beads. They look great in jewelry stores but lose a lot of appeal under real-life lighting.

Zeide

Back