My Kind of Gift - Vintage Mikimoto

I was reading an article about people not wanting to inherit their parent's or grandparent's furnishings and keepsakes. There is a growing distaste for "brown furniture", the kind of beautifully ornate dining sets I wanted to inherit when I was a little girl. I have to admit that I prefer the clean lined furniture I have now, but still, it makes one stop and think about how helpful it would be to clean out the clutter now so that others won't have a hard time of things when your time is up.

The jewelry I cherish may mean nothing to my adorable nieces and their fingers are three sizes larger than mine, making it difficult to share. It would be easier for me to deal with it soon, while it still has value. Tastes have radically changed.

My dear friend's Mother passed away last year and she saved me something special, knowing: "You are the only person who could appreciate this." It's a vintage silver Mikimoto brooch with silver blue akoya pearls and I was deeply touched by her thoughtfulness.

vintage silver Mikimoto brooch with silver blue akoya pearls

I have to face the fact that I may be the last person in my family to enjoy wearing this brooch, but I plan to enjoy it frequently and for as long as I last. It may just transcend oldness to arrive at coolness in the way that mid century modern furniture has -- the only furniture Millennials want to inherit these days.

Blaire Beavers
Managing Editor
Pearl Guide News

Back