Looking for a gift for my mom

Andrew M

Hi everyone,

I'm Andrew, and glad to be a new member here.

I found Pearl-Guide after some searching, and clearly see that it is the best place for all things pearls.

Christmas and my mother's birthday are fast approaching, and of course Mother's Day soon after.

I would like to get my mom some pearls to wear for when she decides to dress up, or for fancy events such as when we attend concerts together. She is in her early 50's and is a very classy person who loves jewelry. I'm just not sure what to get. I have done a lot of reading on types of pearls, and so forth, but I'm not sure what to look for. Do I buy a set? So she can have some more earrings and a bracelet, too? - or do I buy things separately over time, or... - I see that Pearl Paradise seems to be among the best places to find pearls, and their selection is huge.

The only strands my mother has are some freshwater, not round in any way, very small but pretty pearls from 20-30 years ago. She has a few very small studs, and a slightly larger pair of Tahitian (or, freshwater dyed, not sure) earring studs. So I have settled on likely some Akoya pearls, and I was looking at the natural white Hanadama strands that Pearl Paradise carries. Their customer service was very helpful and let me know that promotions on types of pearls happen throughout the year, but Hanadama recently happened :( so I'll be looking out for the next sale on Hanadama pearls, I think. She likes Queen Elizabeth II's jewelry (yet, who doesn't?) and I know she wears some simple pearls quite often.

In any case, I was just curious if anyone could pass along some gift recommendations, ideas, etc. I'm not the best jewelry shopper, but I do like researching and reading and I know that my mom likes white pearls and she deserves the very best.

Thank you for all your help, and I'm glad to be apart of the forum (though my wallet may not).

I would encourage you to let her pick out what she would like. Do it together. The folks at PP will help you a lot.

I agree with BWeaves. Looking at all the different styles really is a source of pleasure. And consider ordering 2-3 finalists, with different overtones, to see which works best with her coloring. Send back the runner(s) up. Maybe make the gift not only of a piece (or pieces, depending on your budget and your mom's preferences), but a gift of your time as you two (in person or online if you don't live close) explore this. For example, while it is hard to beat the bang for your buck that you get from PP, you and your mom could visit a couple of nearby jewelers so she can try on different sizes of pearls, and in different lengths (16",18",20").

Hi Andrew! Do you have a budget of what you would like to spend for Mom?
I personally think you could buy her AAA freshwaters and they would be lovely without breaking the bank. It sounds like Mom doesn't have a pearl bracelet to go with what she already has.
I found this lovely thing on Pearl Paradise's website that I would love to get from my son:

https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...e-freshwater-aaa-pearl-double-strand-bracelet

While I do think shopping together would be fun for the next piece, I know as a Mom that to get a surprise gift like this would be really special from my son. I say, go for the surprise.
Additionally, Freshadamas are the freshwater equivalent of the akoya Hanadamas. Without breaking the bank, you could also get her this to go with her bracelet. The difference between AAA and freshwater will not be apparent with one on the neck and one on the wrist, the better being around the neck. Being a classy lady, I'm sure she would be thrilled with one or the other, or both!

https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...adama-freshwater-pearl-double-strand-necklace

Hi all,

Thanks for the information! I appreciate everyone's thoughts so far. I definitely understand the experience of an outing, but my mom would certainly be the type to not "let" someone spend money on her, so I think if she knew how much anything had cost - even if it weren't very expensive - would not work out so well. So, I will need to stick with the surprise.

For my budget, I would like to stay under $6000 -- under $5000 would be especially ideal. (There has been some time saving for this). I am hoping to catch one of the typical 20% off sales that PP seems to do, if I can catch them on the Hanadama sale (or whatever I end up getting).

I looked at PP, and I see that they do have a Hanadama set, but I do wish they had a natural white Hanadama set. My mother really loves the "glow," and I'm sure she would no doubt appreciate the look of it. The only comment related to freshwater pearls I've ever heard her make is that they "aren't round," and even though they have gotten much better, I think she really might appreciate pearls that "are round" even more - even if FW gets very, very close.

She very much loves the double but especially triple strand bracelet (https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...-white-akoya-aaa-pearl-triple-strand-bracelet) so this will no doubt be on the list. Ideally I could find a strand and similarly sized earrings to go along with. I see that there are some natural white earrings available, in studs, which would also be fine I am sure. This would let me get the 8.5-9.0 mm natural white strand. (the 9.0-9.5 doubles!)

For length, she has always stuck with what I believe are 18" strands in general. Just as well, as this is the longest size that Hanadamas come in. I was leaning towards Akoya because they seem unmatched for true roundness and general quality, as well as being that my mother is not a daily wearer of pearls, only semi-regularly. I do not know how she feels about blue pearls - my hunch is that she won't love them, but I can sneakily ask anyway.

Being in the midwest, we unfortunately do not have many jewelry stores around, let alone any that would have high quality pearls; however, we are going to go around soon (for something unrelated) and maybe I can discover what else she might tend towards then.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far.

Welcome Andrew. Pearl Paradise currently has some amazing round Tahitian strands on sale right now!!!

Hi Andrew:

Contact PP and they can get you anything you want. They got me a 36" strand of natural white Hanadamas with a custom clasp that cost much less than your budget. They have more pearls than are on their website, and they do sell pearls by the inch, so you can get whatever length you want.

I also have Freshadamas from PP. They are round and almost look like my Hanadamas. My Hanadamas are much shinier, but the Freshadamas are very close. Personally, I prefer akoya pearls, so with your budget, you should be able to get something spectacular. Consider getting a nicer clasp, too.

Ah, you have a great budget. I suggested freshwaters as yes, they are pretty round these days, especially the ones from PP and I did not know your budget. I have many akoya necklaces and bracelets and my freshwaters from PP rival them. The triple strand bracelet is perfect, and BWeaves is right, PP will look for whatever you like. If your mom likes white pearls, I suggest you stick with that.

I would think that both Natural white and regular Hanadamas will have the "glow" (luster) that your Mom likes.

I have included a picture of a Freshwater bracelet and an akoya ring that I own, both from pearl paradise, just to give you an idea.

Bubble ring and bracelet.jpg

I'd like to add my "2 cents" - my opinion on your search Andrew. Your budget is quite generous and allows you many choices. You mentioned an important clue and that was that your mom likes Queen Elizabeth's jewelry. To me that means akoya pearls, especially a beautiful quality double or triple akoya strand. Always elegant and appropriate for any occasion. I've noticed that although the Queen has a vast jewelry collection, unless it's a formal occasion where she may be wearing a tiara and magnificent colored gems, most of her photographs show her wearing a double or triple Pearl strand. My vote is for a lovely single, double or triple strand of beautiful white akoya pearls.

I'd like to add my "2 cents" - my opinion on your search Andrew. Your budget is quite generous and allows you many choices. You mentioned an important clue and that was that your mom likes Queen Elizabeth's jewelry. To me that means akoya pearls, especially a beautiful quality double or triple akoya strand. Always elegant and appropriate for any occasion. I've noticed that although the Queen has a vast jewelry collection, unless it's a formal occasion where she may be wearing a tiara and magnificent colored gems, most of her photographs show her wearing a double or triple Pearl strand. My vote is for a lovely single, double or triple strand of beautiful white akoya pearls.

I tend to agree although I'd probably add some pretty studs as well especially if she wears and likes studs.

If she likes the Queen's earrings, you should look at studs that have a diamond at the top.

Hi all,

. looked at PP, and I see that they do have a Hanadama set, but I do wish they had a natural white Hanadama set. My mother really loves the "glow," and I'm sure she would no doubt appreciate the look of it. The only comment related to freshwater pearls I've ever heard her make is that they "aren't round," and even though they have gotten much better, I think she really might appreciate pearls that "are round" even more - even if FW gets very, very close.

PP had a Hanadama natural white strand a week or so ago when I was in there. They could have earrings but I didn't ask about them. Call them or chat online with Erin...she will help you happily !!

a 36" strand of natural white Hanadamas

This was my first thought, for versatility -- wear it long, wear it doubled up.

There will be some holiday sales and specials.

ETA, had another thought. You could get a necklace and bracelet with orbit clasps, and then they could be worn separately or joined together into one longer length.

I'm all about versatility.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'll definitely be looking at and taking into account everyone's suggestions.

My mom was browsing the PP website and actually fell totally in love with a gem grade Tahitian strand. I had PP put it on hold for me, but unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances it ended up being sold through the website while it was on hold. The PP folks have been apologetic and I'm sure they'll find a solution, but I'm just super bummed because my mother absolutely adored that strand :/

Thanks all, though, once more. I'll definitely be looking at all these options.

Oh, dear, that is too bad! But now you know she doesn't just love white pearls, and there are many beautiful Tahitians strands out there. I am sure you and she will find another one that she loves.

Oh, dear, that is too bad! But now you know she doesn't just love white pearls, and there are many beautiful Tahitians strands out there. I am sure you and she will find another one that she loves.

Ha! Yes, indeed. She mentioned loving white ones, herself, but after seeing the deep colored gem grade tahitians, I think she was a little more fixated - she's only used to dyed FWP I'm assuming which are just generally flat blue/gray.

When looking at Tahitians online, buyers should realize that Tahitian pearls are harder to photograph than other pearls, because of the overtone colors. It is common for studio lighting to bring out the overtones to an extent that one will not see under normal lighting at home.

Also, overtone colors will tend to be seen best in diffuse light conditions-- outdoors in the shade or on overcast days, indoors with natural light filtered through curtains, etc.

You might want to have a look at this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tahitian-pearls-vendor-vs-irl-pictures.205879/

Back