John Tu's Pearls

G

GemGeek

John Tu?s Pearls

If you have read my photo story about the GemFaire, you already know my main pearl vendor is John Tu of Taiko Imports. For those of you who are not in the business of pearls, buying pearls is fun and also a challenge. The more pearls you see and handle, the better you become at weeding out the best pearls. I?m one of the little guys, but I?ve bought thousands of dollars of pearls. Finding great pearls is addicting.

The GemFaire is a midsize tradeshow that travels from city to city, mostly on the West Coast. My biggest challenge at the GemFaire is the wholesale pre-opening of the show. This is an hour and a half period where you are competing with other wholesale buyers for the best goods. Speedy judgment is essential or someone else may snatch up all of the best pearls!

John Tu doesn?t have a website or a fancy operation. He?s just a great guy who sells pearls. He?s been in this business for 18 years. As fast as things change with pearls, that?s a lifetime!

Although he carries Akoya, South Sea, and Tahitian cultured pearls, the bulk of his inventory is in fancy varieties of Chinese Freshwaters. These range from inexpensive beading pearls to the finest quality keshi. I wanted to share photos of his pearls because they represent the wide range coming out of China and also because they are different from a lot of the pearls you?ll see online ? ?round and white? are definitely in the minority.

Let?s go virtual-shopping together!

First, here is my friend John. Behind him you can see my prime shopping grounds ? the wall of pearls. He?s showing off some of his seed pearls.

1 John Tu.jpg

Let?s take a closer look?

2 mixed seed pearls large.jpg

Can you believe how tiny they are? I met a woman who had a lovely multi-strand necklace of seed pearls with intermittently spaced tiny multi-color sapphire briolettes. There must be a zillion things you could do with tiny pearls!

Now for the closeup view?

3 tiny seed pearls large.jpg

The FTC says that only natural pearls can be called seed pearls. So these are really tiny freshwater cultured pearls, although there isn?t a difference that can be discerned from a test because these are not nucleated, or ?activated?.

Can you imagine having to tie knots between these? No one is that patient, except maybe our own Knotty Panda.;)

I mentioned the wall of pearls. That?s usually the first place I head for when the show opens. I?ll show you some of the simple pearls first.

4 dyed silvers.jpg

These dyed silvers are so much fun. The shape and surface quality vary from hank to hank. Within hanks you?ll also find some variation, so you have to compare them carefully if you are combining pearls into a longer strand.

Most of John?s pearls are naturally colored, like these buttons.

5 buttons large.jpg

Small button strands look good with a flat side, almost like rows of gleaming corn. Good buttons in larger sizes should be gently curved on both ends.

It takes time to find perfect strands without any flat spots. Even if you are brand-new to pearl appreciation, you?ve probably noticed that a lot of baroque pearls have a flat side.

There isn?t a lot of space in a mussel and many pearls end up developing a flat area against the inside of the shell. The law of pearl economics is round = rare = high cost. If you don?t mind some flat spots, you can get a great deal on pearls. The key is making sure that the nacre coverage is just as good on the flat part. John has a lot of fun dyed pearls, some as low as a dollar a strand.

I?ll be posting this in several installments, so please wait until the end to post replies. ;)

John Tu?s Pearls, continued?

Let?s go back to the wall to see more natural colors?

6 natural wonders.jpg

These are medium size ovals and drops. I sometimes feel a hypnotic trance coming on if I stare at them for too long.:)

Here are some larger pearls. You can see that some are slightly ringed or have the occasional dimple.

7 lovely complexion.jpg

Here are some fun shapes. They have awesome luster?

8 pointy pearls.jpg

I?ve strung these so they alternate pointing up and down, and I?ve added crystals so they fan out and all point down/outward. People always want to touch these. I suspect that they may not believe that they?re real.;)

Here are some natural colors in fancy shapes?

9 more natural colors.jpg

Along with some smaller buttons, here are some center-drilled stick pearls and some doubled stick pearls, where two pearls joined together during growth.

Speaking of joined pearls?

10 multi pearls.jpg

?Peanut? pearls are joined end to end. Here they are drilled lengthwise on the left and crosswise on the right.

More?

Let?s take a look in the case at the fancies and keshi pearls?

11 case fancies.jpg

This photo shows some stick pearls, fireballs, and white keshi petal pearls.

12 loose keshi large.jpg

It would be fun to think up ways to use these. They?re much prettier out of the plastic bags and out of the case.

Here are some enormous keshi petal pearls from the wall?

13 giant keshi petals large.jpg

These are sometimes called cornflake pearls. This color fits that description perfectly.

Here are the type of stick pearls that I think of as ?hippie? pearls. They look cheerful and carefree?definitely not formal!

14 shaded color sticks.jpg

John constantly updates his inventory to include the latest and greatest. The hybridization/pearl husbandry work is clearly showing in the lovely natural color variations.

15 yellow sticks.jpg

Love the peach color!

More?

I?ve been seeing more and more pearls that look like the pearl equivalent of a porcupine quill or anemone spine. I know one of you will know the official name?

16 specialty natural.jpg

I like these chubby ones. They have interesting circles and color banding?

Here are some skinny ones?

17 skinny sticks large.jpg

Now these would make a great bead curtain for a doorway! ;)

You can see some stars at the right. These were one of the first variations of the coin pearl. They are ? of the price and four times as good as they were two years ago.

18 stars and bars large.jpg

And their natural color blends beautifully with glass beads.

Speaking of coin pearls, here are coin pearls on steroids. The square pearls are one inch wide!

19 square and round natural.jpg

I must admit that they look kind of blah after seeing the dyed version, so next we?re going to see dyed pearls.

More?

It may come as a shock to the purists, but dyed pearls are very popular. Easing into color, here are some funky brown and green pearls?

20 all kinds large.jpg

I sell more pearls because women want to have colors to match their outfits. Whatever draws you in to becoming a pearl aficionado, is fine with me!

In my memory, I had taken a lot of photos of dyed pearls, but I only took a few. My tripod wouldn?t reach the top row, where most of the dyed pearls were situated. And the next one is similar to this one?hmmm?I?m pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that I love chocolate colored pearls!

21 mix.jpg

If you want color, here it comes. Remember those big square pearls?

Here?s the colored version?

22 squares.jpg

These are being sold in boutiques!

Here are some rounds?

23 color rounds closeup.jpg

It?s amazing how fast the nacre gets layered on the bead. Interesting swirling patterns!

More?

Here are some bead nucleated freshwater pearls?

25 bead nukes.jpg

26 beak nukes on drugs.jpg

I think these are tissue-nucleated, but you can never be 100% sure?

27 dripping pearls.jpg

They look like they're melting and dripping!;)

More natural color shimmer...

28 natural beauties.jpg

And here is a close-up photo of some lovely baroques.

29 natural color baroques large.jpg

These are sooooo beautiful!

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

John has all kinds of loose pearls. That helps if you need a replacement pearl or want to make earrings.

30 undrilled.jpg

He has lots of Tahitian Pearls?

31 tahitians1 large.jpg

32 tahitian strands large.jpg

Let?s take a closer look at the specials?

33 good deal.jpg

Circled pearls!

34 circles.jpg

More?

I purchased these circled pearls from the specials to make fun earrings and pendants.

35 mine.jpg

Here?s a token white south sea pearl photo?

36 south sea.jpg

But the truly lovely pearls are the goldens?

37 goldens2 large.jpg

38 goldens1 large.jpg

I would love a strand of golden south sea pearls from John?s pearls! For now, I have earrings and a pendant. I bought a golden south sea pearl ring from another vendor, who bought the pearl from John, so it?s all in the family at the GemFaire.

I?ll post photos here each time I get new pearls of interest from John. If you find yourself at the GemFaire, be sure to say hi to John for me and tell him you?re from the Pearl Guide.

Thanks for indulging me in another photo-story.;)

Blaire, aka GemGeek

Blaire, thanks again for a wonderful exhibition! I'm glad you have your photo limit worked out. I've never seen a display like his. It bothers me going to the fairs and seeing tables with piles and piles of pearls all heaped on each other and someone in back of the table, talking on their cell phone, ignoring the customers. Pearls, and all the hard work which goes into farming them, deserve respect. He has a wonderful selection! Since it doesn't appear he will be travelling to this part of the country, do I place my order with you? Gotta have stars (on thars)! I also saw peanut pearls. Love them, so hard to find. I call them devotion pearls. Two so devoted to each other they bond in the mollusc, never to be parted.

Blaire, wonderful show, wonderful treat. Thank you.

Man, I wish I woulda thought to commission you to pick up a few strands for me! ;) Lovely photos...I wish I could've been there to see them all for myself. Some of those freshwater strands were great!

Knotty Panda, I know what you mean about display. His pearls on the tables are all carefully laid out, too. The vendor I purchase from in Tucson has their pearls in sacks and they get scratched by being dragged over each other. Peanut love, huh?!:D

I asked John if I could get a group together and visit to purchase pearls. He loved that idea, and from what I hear, he has an unbelievable amount of pearls. He lives in Oregon, so that would take some major planning. Instead of a Pearl Walk, it would be a Pearl Fly!

He's at the Costa Mesa show this weekend and is in San Diego next weekend, if anyone is going to be nearby.;)

what a nice thread! :) Thank you for posting the photos. The pearls are beautiful. It 'd be nice if there is such an exhibition in New England.

GemGeek: Dose he have big loose round FWP?

Tanakarn

tanakarn1 said:
what a nice thread! :) Thank you for posting the photos. The pearls are beautiful. It 'd be nice if there is such an exhibition in New England.

GemGeek: Dose he have big loose round FWP?

Tanakarn

Thanks! I haven't noticed large loose freshwaters. I'm assuming you are talking about over 10mm. There are a lot of dealers in NYC who would have good freshwater pearls. Is that a long trip for you? Off the top of my head, I know that Intergem has shows in Baltimore and Hartford. If you purchase one of the major beading magazines, they usually have a list of most of the shows around the country. Most shows have pearl vendors, but the quality varies.

There are a lot of shows up and down the East Coast - way more than the West Coast. I could drive 130 miles to downtown Los Angeles where there are a lot of dealers, but it's more useful for me to go to a local show where I can pick up several things I need at the same time. I think you would enjoy going to a show and seeing the amazing variety of goods.

Good Luck ;)

The two silver baroque pearls in THIS picture look fabulous... and a bit familiar from another thread (could it be?).

You know, I didn't notice those monster pearls until after I had finished posting everything! They look like two different colors, and yes, they sure remind me of the Paspaleys. I'll ask him about them next weekend.

What would you do with those? Or should I say, what wouldn't you do with those? ;)

Knotty Panda, I really am a lowly beader at heart - here are some of John's white stars in a double strand necklace...

stars.jpg

And earrings to match...

star earring.jpg

Every little girl loves stars! ;)

Hi Blaire and All,

I was fortunate to look up John Tu when Gem Faire was in Portland in Nov. Did not pay a lot of attention to the SS and Tahitians, think he brought less of those---but here is some of my "loot"

John Tu 11_resize.JPG

These are the dyed chocolate, lovely color and some natural ovals.

John Tu 13_resize.JPG

Here are the $2-3 per strand pearls

John Tu 12_resize.JPG

Both natural and dyed keishi. Oh, yes, I am a big fan of stars also! AND of course, I said Blaire sent me!!!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

More of John Tu's Pearls

More of John Tu's Pearls

In December I was able to see John again and pick up a few great deals. I hope you'll like seeing them. :cool:

I'll start with the "plain" pearls...

These are about 6mm and they were three dollars a strand. Shocking, I know! ;)
three dollar pearls.jpg

Here are some good-size drops at four dollars a strand...
med drops.jpg

And a closeup...
med drops1.jpg

Here are some great small drops at two dollars a strand. You can't go wrong at that price!
drops.jpg
drops1.jpg

I have several more coming in the next few posts. ;)

I have a thing for buttons. They tease me about it!

The outer strand is just over 10mm and the inner strands are 9.5mm and were $20 and $12 respectively.
buttons.jpg

I always look for lavenders, but they are usually very light. These had some great colors and were only five dollars.
lavender1.jpg

In the back-light, you get a better idea of their color...
lavender.jpg

Here are some cute orangy cranberry pearls 9-10mm and three bucks. John was closing some things out and I got lucky.
cranberry.jpg

more coming...

Now for the stick pearls. First are these natural pinks. I couldn't capture how pink they are because they are so reflective. Here are my attempts...
pink3.jpg
pinks.jpg
pink1.jpg
pink2.jpg

<sigh>;)

more coming...

Back