Jewelry making supplies

nickel in jewellery is banned (in alloys and, I understand USA vermeil can have a layer of nickel between the silver and the gold).
If it has nickel in it I can't sell it, nor would it pass assay
It doesn't matter if the scientific or medical basis is contested or disputed. Or particularly how it's tested. It's the law and that's that.
Directive 94/27/EC

Last edited:
Thanks Amanda for the link - which contains the same information I was basing my initial post upon.

The standard (or if you like, directive) has zero requirement or limit upon the physical content of nickel in an item - what is regulated - and tested for - is the release rate of any such nickel content.

Something can contain the merest fraction of a percent of nickel - and fail the test for nickel release - and conversely may contain a considerable percentage of nickel and pass - if its release rate is less then the published standard.

There are many materials where it would be impossible to eliminate the presence of nickel - this is recognised by the legislation - and allowance made for mitigating processes such as plating or coating with other materials (such factors form part of the test as any such coating protection must withstand simulated aging\wear of at least two years normal use.)

The law (or standard or directive) is indeed what it is - and is strict - but its content and requirement is quite different to what was espoused as fact.

In Britain - you also need to be quite cautious of grabbing onto the nickel free party bus - The British Jewellers association mentions, and I quote directly from their trade material

" BJA does not recommend use of terms such as ?nickel free? , ?hypoallergenic? or ?nickel safe? because items which release small amounts of nickel can comply with the regulations but could be in contravention of the Trades Descriptions Act. Retailers who use such terms may have a poor understanding of the regulations and their obligations. "

As to the mention of assay - thats another topic and a very different test with the aim being to determine that the content of precious metal indeed meets the purity being claimed (and against standard) the presence or absence of nickel is immaterial unless to be at such level as to fail the purity required.

There is certainly plenty of awareness of nickel allergy. Certainly the suppliers I deal with are aware of it and frequently indicate "no nickel" and list the alloys. I'm allergic myself, so I know it isn't any fun.

Many of the findings and supplies sold by companies such as Rio Grande, Artbeads, Fire Mountain, etc are manufactured all over the world, not just in the US. A company should be able to give you info if you have concerns and ask.

I would be in favor of stronger regulations. It's usually easier to make the law than enforce it, unfortunately.

As I understand it, it's more of a sensitivity than an allergy, strictly speaking. Initial sensitisation (often through jewellery) means that any nickel-containing items you touch later can give you contact demititis (sp? skin irritation, anyway).

Back