Japanese Akoya Pearls

jshepherd

This is a quote from the 'Annual Pearl Report' in the October issue of JCK (the Industry Authority Since 1869) Magazine. I thought it was important because it echoes what so many of us in the industry have been reporting for the last several years. It is heartening to know that an industry authority like the JCK is finally recognizing this fact, although so many retailers would like to keep the consumers in the dark.
JCK October Issue
Page 88
Japanese/Chinese Akoyas
Note that the phrase "Japanese Akoyas" is no longer used, since most strands combine Chinese and Japanese akoyas. The consensus is that it doesn't matter where they're from as long as quality is high. But don't be fooled by tags that say, "Made in Japan." The strand is made in Japan, but the pearls on it may be Chinese.

Why pay more for pearls from companies that know, as we know, that the pearls are not cultured in Japan! They are a mix of Japanese and Chinese. AND the only reason the pearls can be mixed is there is no difference in the pearls! We use both Chinese and Japanese but have not tried to hide this fact since inception - for nearly 5 years. Our competition and many over priced retailers, however, claim to sell only Japanese and charge a premium, which we have always known is a lie, but the truth is finally coming out!

Last edited:
Jeremy,
This is true. We have been buying Chinese pearls for years as you know. But I think it is important to point the truth that we have never keep this a secret from the US buyers. They know this too. This is why we only buy the large pearls (9mm harvest) because this is true Japanese.

The problem that we are faced is that if we try to only use the Japanese pearls we cannot compete for the smaller size pearls. All Japanese factories are also using the Chinese pearls now. If we only use the Japanese the prices will make us lose money. I think soon Japanese farmers will only nucleate with 7mm to 8mm nucleus. If the Chinese farms start to do this well like the smaller ones I think Japan will hurt even more.

I know it is not good for the Japanese business but I think it is important also that the truth is there. It is never good to deceive customers because eventually everyone will know what is the truth and it is better to be the honest one at the beginning.

私に電話をかけなさい

Back