Is this mikimoto pearl necklace worth buying?

Sarahsam

I have been wanting to buy single strand of mikimoto pearl necklace, I found this mikimoto pearl necklace on eBay , item number 222300787447, eBay seller annesattic038, I reckon it's a affordable price and luster pearl color but I'm afraid that it might be fake even though there's M stamp on the clasp. I would appreciate expertises''opinion on this pearl necklace. Thank you.

The trademark looks wrong - clumsy and out of proportion and it says 'sil'. Is that how Mikimoto marks silver?
Clearly been re-strung
no returns

"No returns" is a problem. If you sent it to Mikimoto and they said it wasn't genuine, you'd be stuck with it.

The clasp looks like it could be Mikimoto to me. It's silver and it's shiny, which means it has a good rhodium plating on the silver to prevent tarnish. The pearls look nice. They look like they've been restrung, because the gimp (French wire next to the clasp) is tarnished.

$600 Australian dollars is about $464 USD which is a decent price for a strand of well matched akoya pearls.

If they really are Mikimoto, that's a good price for the strand.

Just keep in mind that there are no returns if you decide to buy or bid on them. It might be worth it. You can always check with Mikimoto after you buy them and have them restring them and give you a certificate if they agree they are real Mikis.

The clasp looks like it could be Mikimoto to me. It's silver and it's shiny, which means it has a good rhodium plating on the silver to prevent tarnish. The pearls look nice. They look like they've been restrung, because the gimp (French wire next to the clasp) is tarnished.

$600 Australian dollars is about $464 USD which is a decent price for a strand of well matched akoya pearls.

If they really are Mikimoto, that's a good price for the strand.

Just keep in mind that there are no returns if you decide to buy or bid on them. It might be worth it. You can always check with Mikimoto after you buy them and have them restring them and give you a certificate if they agree they are real Mikis.

Thank you so much for your reply , I might as well contact the seller.

Now, I'm not an expert, so they might not be Mikimoto, but if you can afford the price, it might be worth a try.

We had another person on this forum recently who also bought a strand of maybe Mikis, and we here were suspicious, and she sent them to Mikimoto and they confirmed that they were the real deal, so you never know.

Would you really be stuck with it? It is clearly advertised as Mikimoto. If Mikimoto says it's not, couldn't you open a case with ebay and/or also possibly your credit card company or PayPal? It might be different if it said "thought to be Mikimoto" or some such but it does say it IS Mikimoto. ?

Last edited:
Would you really be stuck with it? It is clearly advertised as Mikimoto. If Mikimoto says it's not, couldn't you open a case with ebay and/or also possibly your credit card company or PayPal? It might be different if it said "thought to be Mikimoto" or some such but it does say it IS Mikimoto. ?

If she sends them to Mikimoto and they say they're fake, she could totally file a SNAD case and win.

Sil is the correct mark for silver mikimoto. Can't see pics but mikimoto really does not say that any strand with a miki clasp is fake.
They just can't tell esp if its old & the pearls have lost luster. If they have all sorts of bumps & wrinkles & its obvious its not miki grad then they probably won;t certify it. Some old miki's are just not good any more. They were poory taken care of & the surface breaks down.

If they look nice & they have a mki clasp then I'd go for it i the price was right.

Back