Is this Mikimoto Akoya or Tahitian?

L

Lyra

I have silver Mikimoto pearl brooch with unusual pearls. The color is more bluish white and not perfectly round like typical Mikimoto pearls (baroque). There are 7 pearls and smallest 8mm and largest 9.8 mm.

Is it possible these are not akoyas and more likely South Seas or Tahitian?

Not sure if I can post picture here, but I'm trying:

blueMiki1.jpg

Thank you for any help.

They definitely could be Akoya pearls. I am not familiar with different Mikimoto styles of jewelry, but Akoya pearls do naturally come in a light blue coloration. They are simply referred to in Japan as "natural color". The do not appear to be South Sea pearls.

Thank you for this information. This brooch is pre-1960 purchase - not sure beyond that. I really did not think these were South Seas because these are too lustrous for being South Seas but wasn't sure about being possible Tahitian. Also, the size of these pearls seemed rather large for being Akoyas.

Good to learn that some Akoyas come naturally this color because it is such a beautiful color. You are right, it is better described as light blue with pinkish overtone.

Again, thank you.:)

The artist may simply have wanted to make the piece unique (success!) I envision a piece set in such a way to keep the inclusion surface (assuming there is a bit of wrinkle near the drill hole) near the bottom, using natural color pearls to give the illusion of flowers. Using pearls with such dramatic differences in sizes could be the designer giving each ‘Tsubomi’ or unopened bud, a unique look.
Just a thought, in all likelihood I am way off!

Back