Inherited Pearls!

krhenderson

IMG_20140105_200752.jpgIMG_20140105_200808.jpgIMG_20140105_200822.jpgIMG_20140105_200922.jpg

These are Pearls that I inherited from my grandmother. I don't know much about them. I know they are real and that they are real diamonds in the clasp. all the diamonds on the reverse side of the clasp are gone now. the largest pearl is 8mm and the smallest are just under 4mm. the earings are also 4mm pearls. the earrings are stamped "p 14k".

I have been wanting to have them appraised if they of any value and cleaned. i have some other studs and similar earings to the ones shown with larger pearls and a diamond mounted above the pearl. I have been wondering if they are really of any value and if it is worth having them officially appraised and insured.

any insight is wonderful! thanks everyone in advance. :)

They look like artificial pearls because they are extremely uniform, but it could be that your lighting is making them look that way. May I suggest that you take some photos in indirect daylight? And try to get a close up of a few pearls and the clasp. (The macro setting shows as a little flower). It would be unusual for stones to come out of a clasp, unless they were only held with glue. Anything is possible. :)

i'll try to get a shot tomorrow in daylight. its dark here. they are very old. if you look at them closely, none of them are perfectly round. I was told they were real diamonds but no one in my family is a gem expert thats for sure lol

Also, if you rub 2 of the pearls together gently (or rub one gently against the edge of your front tooth) real pearls will feel a bit gritty while imitation pearls will feel smooth (unless they are very dirty).

I've seen many imitation graduated strands, and sometimes people think they have real pearls when they do not.

As to the earrings, I bought real cultured pearl earrings at KMart about 10 year ago that looked like those. You can rub one of them against the other to test them.

Back