How often are Tahitian pearls white?

C

Casey.R

I noticed some pearls being advertised as South sea, but in the description it said they were from Tahiti? It didn't really make sense to me since most of the Tahitian pearls I've seen are darker in color( and because they were calling them SS). I've seen pale silver but do they come in white too? I know the mollusks they grow in is similar.

Often the terms Tahitian and South Sea are confused, and I'm guessing that is the case here. Neither Tahitian (Black South Sea Pearls) nor white South Sea pearls "come from (ie are clutured in)" Tahiti. Tahitian pearls, in general, come from atolls in French Polynesia and the Cook Islands. White South Sea pearls generally are cultured off the coast of northern Australia. (Yes, there are exceptions to all of this.)

So where are you seeing them described as from Tahiti?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
It was a pair of earrings( from Ebay of course). You never know with Ebay and although most people here would say it's not a good place to look you never know. It's good to check your facts though and those just don't sounds quite right.
Isn't Tahiti one of the Islands that makes up French polynesia. Why do they call them Tahitian if they aren't from there? Is it just because it sounds nice :) or did they once culture them there?

Yes, Tahiti is a part of French Polynesia, but it isn't an atoll. The Tahitian government regulates most of the export of Tahitian pearls. The mullosk which produces these pearls is really the differentiating factor. It is the Pinctada margaritifera, or the black-lipped oyster.

If you post a link to the auction, you'll get more feedback from a variety of people. There's also a section just for this in the forums here.

Last edited:
Tahitian is a huge buzzword on eBay. Many people fall for descriptions where the word is used as an adjective, ie tahitian black. That usually means dyed freshwater! So read every word carefully.

Back