Hong Kong - looking for info!

Beware

Beware

I am from hong kong and I can tell you that this is a very safe city. BUT the jewelry fair attracts thieves from all over the world. They usually target jewelry sellers but of hearing that you could be carrying cash, just want to alert you of the danger. And don't think hotel rooms are safe. Double lock your room and keep valuables in safety deposit box at all times.

Otherwise, all the best with your trip and hope you have time to see the city!

I am from hong kong and I can tell you that this is a very safe city. BUT the jewelry fair attracts thieves from all over the world. They usually target jewelry sellers but of hearing that you could be carrying cash, just want to alert you of the danger. And don't think hotel rooms are safe. Double lock your room and keep valuables in safety deposit box at all times.

Otherwise, all the best with your trip and hope you have time to see the city!

Thanks for that, I did wonder when I read about the cash whether or not that would be an issue.

Is it best to stay on HK Island or Kowloon? I have friends who have factories in China and travel through there quite a bit, he stays at the Langham for business as its close to the people with whom he meets. I've had the Shangri-la-Island, the Harbour View, Mandarin Oriental, Icon and Four Seasons all recommended by friends. But as I wasnt sure how long it takes to get across to the Convention centre I was hesitant to book Kowloon. Any suggestions?

Hard call. It is surprising how different the two are, given that they are the same (?). Obviously the island is nearer for the exhibition centre and some hotels even run a shuttle bus to it, which saves a lot of hassle. There seem to be a lot more of the locals' tiny street corner eateries on the island (you should eat there once or twice for at most $5 a meal)
All the pearl companies have their bases on the mainland though. Which seems marginally less frantic in atmosphere somehow.
The island is more totally Hong Kong experience though, I'd say.

The convention center is right by the ferry pier which goes to TST so if you prefer Kowloon, i'd suggest you book a hotel that's near the pier - the Peninsula, Marco Polo, Sheraton, Kowloon hotel, YMCA are all within 10 min walk.

HK is small. You'll be able to get to the convention center within 20 min taxi ride from anywhere within the HK island.

Personally i like HK island better cos it is less crowded and things seem more organized somehow. But you wouldn't find 'street stalls' on HK island like the ones you'll find in Kowloon (temple street, lady's street).

I have been doing this for a lot of years. I almost always stay in Kowloon. The MTR is so handy that anywhere it goes is fine. The Nikko, The Kowloon Hotel are both very handy. TST is more adventurous I think. Temple Street at night is a interesting stroll. Ned Kelly's should be visited if you want some old HK experiences, and you like jazz. HK island in some ways is a bit too sterile for me. But the MTR is 5 minutes from anywhere so it really doesn't matter that much. You should also take the trip over to Stanley Village on the far side of HK island. It is a old british enclave. That one should be done in the daytime. It's all very easy. I also wouldn't worry about needing to carry a bunch of cash around. Most of the better vendors take plastic and if not there are ATM's everywhere. You'll do fine.

Last edited:
I went to temple street and lady's market last time I was there. very disappointed. Some usual souvenir stuff and very bad plastic knock offs.I bought nothing all evening. For good shopping go to Shenzhen I think. I was told that the markets have gone down in the last year or so since the copyright issue was cracked down on. certainly only some very poor plastic copies when I was there. For non big brand shopping I thought the island was much better - lots of small shops.
Clearly Mikeyy and I are not agreeing! But then we are probably looking for different things

Actually, Wendy I think you misunderstood. Temple Street is a famous and iconic spot in Kowloon. It is lined with traditional Hong Kong restaurants that serve sea food like spicy crab and beer. Some people go just for that. Some movies have been shot there and you will find the Jade Market at the end of the Street. It is a fun place to meet and enjoy a a stroll in the evening and people watch. I would also recommend the Peak Tram for a beautiful view of the harbor, and if you have the time, a visit to the Giant Buddha and Po Lin Monastery is worth the trip. There is plenty of places to shop from Stanley Village to the new territories. Depends on what you are after. If you want tailored clothes there are tailors in HK I can recommend but I would go to Shenzhen for that. If you need drapes or window coverings, Bedding etc. It can be made in a day with a huge selection of materials and styles. So if that is your thing take you measurements before you go. You would also go to Shenzhen for this. You can take the train from Hung Hom station in Kowloon and be at the border in no time. Right across the border you will find LoWu commercial City which is a 6 story mall. You will find all you need there for shopping. If you don't see it ask and I promise you they have a warehouse within a block where they have what you are looking for. I wouldn't buy electronics or DVD's there, or in HK for that matter. They are often grey market products. If they aren't they are usually no less expensive there then in Australia. Same with cameras. You will no doubt return home with more then you came with. I have been going several times a year for many years and I still end up with something I didn't start off with. Give us a yell if you need any help. I will be there next week. AGAIN>>>>>

Last edited:
Ah-ha. now I agree with everything Mikeyy said! Be aware you need a visa for Shenzhen - the cheapest way is to travel on a guided day tour if you aren't planning to go to China proper again. There are several companies offering tours at wildly differing prices - you can book before you go if you want. certainly find a company by internet rather than take a hotel porter recommendation! (mikeyy and Nerida might even remember my face of horror at the price quoted in one hotel)
The funny thing about HK is that there is lots to experience as you wander round, but not really much to see because they keep knocking it all down and building up and up and up - look out for the bamboo scaffolding.

Great information ! Thanks so much Wendy and Mikeyy, you guys make great travel guides! Hadn't thought about the tailors, but John might be interested in that ... Mikeyy and Jeremy if you would like to pass on any names I might be able to send him off there and get a second day out of the show! LOL

"I've only recently started shopping in Hong Kong. Hisano has only recently begun joining me on trips to Hong Kong. It's funny how that works"
Had to laugh.. John went to London on business for years..but said he only found it expensive after I went with him... it IS funny how that works...

I'm doing this prior to two knee replacements so I'll be lucky to last more than a couple of hours..be good if I could narrow down my stops :)

Hey Katbran, I was in HK 6 weeks ago with a mum who 5 days after our return had a total knee replacement done (still slowly recuperating) so I understand your hesistance. If I could add, we stayed on HK Island near Times Square where the streets are wider and paving more even (and less of a challenge) for my 7 and 5 year-olds and elderly parents alike. In contrast, Kowloon, particularly Tsim Tsa Tsui that I stayed at 3 years back, while more vibrant and bustling, had potholed streets and narrow narrow sidewalks (walking 2 abreast at peak hours can be a challenge what more negotiating with a stroller where people tsk tsk you for going too slowly). That's just my opinion but we did benefit from the urban planning on HK Island.

My posts on the HK trip are under the thread "My Hong Kong Shopping Trip" post #18 onward, if you are interested :)
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/show-us-your-pearls/4592-my-hong-kong-shopping-3.html

Great information ! Thanks so much Wendy and Mikeyy, you guys make great travel guides! Hadn't thought about the tailors, but John might be interested in that ... Mikeyy and Jeremy if you would like to pass on any names I might be able to send him off there and get a second day out of the show! LOL

"I've only recently started shopping in Hong Kong. Hisano has only recently begun joining me on trips to Hong Kong. It's funny how that works"
Had to laugh.. John went to London on business for years..but said he only found it expensive after I went with him... it IS funny how that works...

Hong Kong has gotten a lot more expensive lately, lol. But it's also been more fun. I've spent the past 15 years going there for one thing, but this year I've finally gotten out and visited places like The Peak and Temple Street.

As for the suits, I've used a couple of different tailors in the past. I've found that it isn't so much the particular tailor, it's your negotiating skills that matter most. Most tailors will quote you somewhere in the $4-$500 range, but even with cashmere and silk fabric blend, you can get a suit custom tailored for under $150.

Hong Kong has gotten a lot more expensive lately, lol. But it's also been more fun. I've spent the past 15 years going there for one thing, but this year I've finally gotten out and visited places like The Peak and Temple Street.

As for the suits, I've used a couple of different tailors in the past. I've found that it isn't so much the particular tailor, it's your negotiating skills that matter most. Most tailors will quote you somewhere in the $4-$500 range, but even with cashmere and silk fabric blend, you can get a suit custom tailored for under $150.

Astounding prices! Thanks for that info..very very helpful to have an idea of how far to push things.

Hey Katbran, I was in HK 6 weeks ago with a mum who 5 days after our return had a total knee replacement done (still slowly recuperating) so I understand your hesistance. If I could add, we stayed on HK Island near Times Square where the streets are wider and paving more even (and less of a challenge) for my 7 and 5 year-olds and elderly parents alike. In contrast, Kowloon, particularly Tsim Tsa Tsui that I stayed at 3 years back, while more vibrant and bustling, had potholed streets and narrow narrow sidewalks (walking 2 abreast at peak hours can be a challenge what more negotiating with a stroller where people tsk tsk you for going too slowly). That's just my opinion but we did benefit from the urban planning on HK Island.
My posts on the HK trip are under the thread "My Hong Kong Shopping Trip" post #18 onward, if you are interested :)
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/show-us-your-pearls/4592-my-hong-kong-shopping-3.html

Well thats really good to know. I am a bit concerned about how well my knees and a slightly ruptured achilles tendon are going to hold up! LOL The joys of aging! Fortunately I have to assume that taxis abound..and I'm also guessing that they aren't too expensive .. thanks also for the link-I shall read it with much interest!! So much great information !! Thanks :)

Back