Help finding Tahitian pearl necklace UK

Wow .. 20% VAT + shipping charges + Duty + handling fees .... bummer. That really bumps a price up. Jeremy is certainly giving good advice when he says to get more photos of anything you are buying overseas.. if you want to return something how do you get the duty and VAT refunded?

I have never tried, don't even know if I can here in Denmark, but I can see cmd2014 has. My guess is the fees are lost plus you have to pay for return shipping.

- Karin

Yes, the VAT rules apply all over the EU. So you would be entitled to a refund of any VAT paid if the item was re-exported. You'll still lose exchange rate fees (currency exchange, ) and shipping fees if these were added separately by the seller. If they were part of an all-in/ free shipping price you should get them refunded.

Oh god I'm really scared now. I hope I havnt been silly and caused myself more hassle - I don't have the time nor energy to deal with it right now

Hi..Oh no, I didn't want to scare you! All this stuff sorts itself since lots of things come into the UK every day. The parcel will arrive, (do you have a tracking number to follow its progress?) and you will get some sort of invoice from the shipping company for the taxes etc.
The bank will happily throw its charges at you. You just need to pay and pay!
It's pretty straightforward, but the point is that you can't just compare around the world because there are considerations that people need to know about.
One world, one level playing field, one currency, one set of taxes ...would be bliss. But think of all the bureaucrats and governments and officials and bankers out of work.

(It is almost as much hassle if you miss a domestic delivery from the postman or parcel force or whoever, after all!)

Yeah, it sounds complicated, but in my experience it's all pretty smooth and easy. You get a delivery note indicating the fees, you go to the post office or shipping company depot to pick your item up, pay your bill, and Bob's your uncle! Wear your new jewelry in good health! Once you do it once, you'll worry a whole lot less about it! Of course, that gets dangerous in it's own right.... :)

Yes you're both right it's a case of fearing the unknown! In any case this has all highlighted to me the potential extra cost (which will be in the hundreds)! and just as I was seriously contemplating an extra item with the money I have 'left over' haha. I guess after TOTAL cost there won't be any left overs left which made me sad at the beginning but not anymore. I am glad I brought from a place that's the 'experts' and even though I don't have the item yet I do trust it will be of the highest quality which I wouldn't have necessarily got on the high street. And for what I'm getting even on top of VAT; I'm still hoping I've saved somewhat.

Thanks guys!

Moonpie...it's a dangerous (but fun) way of justifying purchases when you start looking at the savings for nicer quality pieces compared to brick and mortar stores, even when you figure in shipping, currency exchange, taxes and duty. Once you get the hang of what to expect, you'll just start automatically start factoring it in in your mind when making purchasing decisions.

What is bumming me out at the moment is how low my dollar is! Stupid dropping oil prices....how dare matters of international economics interfere with my pearl purchases! :p

A low USD is great news for me though, as it means my ? gets more pearls in Hong Kong when I'm there in a couple of weeks

Don't worry too much, Moonpie. Remember this thread began as an answer to Lavenderjade's question, "I am hoping you can assist me in my search for a reliable online seller of Tahitian pearl necklaces either in the UK or that will ship to the UK without horrendous shipping charges or import duty."

That's why we have elaborated so.

- Karin

Don't worry too much, Moonpie. Remember this thread began as an answer to Lavenderjade's question, "I am hoping you can assist me in my search for a reliable online seller of Tahitian pearl necklaces either in the UK or that will ship to the UK without horrendous shipping charges or import duty."

That's why we have elaborated so.

- Karin

Hee hee I discovered the excess charges associated with purchasing jewellery from the US many years ago which is why it puts me off now as it is the unknown bill that comes in the post and the nightmare of returns! I bought a lovely item which I still love and wear but with the VAT, duty, shipping, VAT and duty on top of the shipping which was horrific because the seller kindly but unwittingly upgraded the shipping for me plus the couriers handling fee at Customs.....well suffice to say, all of that was more than the worth of the item!

Anyway, thank you kindly for your responses and for directing me toward Pearlescence, there are some lovely quirky designs on her website!

I should like to post some photos of some pearls I already own on here to get your expert opinion on what they might be, not sure how to do that though? dinosaur I am...x

That's good to know, thanks pearlescence. I had read on the Swedish customs website and there it said that VAT refunds weren't possible even if an item was re-exported. Good to know that there is EU law that overrides that.

Yes, the VAT rules apply all over the EU. So you would be entitled to a refund of any VAT paid if the item was re-exported. You'll still lose exchange rate fees (currency exchange, ) and shipping fees if these were added separately by the seller. If they were part of an all-in/ free shipping price you should get them refunded.

Back